Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Charlie-Boo

On Jun 26, 8:48 pm, "Jesse F. Hughes" <je...@phiwumbda.org> wrote:
> Charlie-Boo <shymath...@gmail.com> writes:
> >> Example 1: The TM that never halts and never changes the tape does not
> >> represent a computable real.

> > It depends on the system of representation.  An empty tape typically
> > represents 0.

> If the machine does not halt, you can't say that the tape is empty for
> certain.

Likewise if it does halt - until it halts. But who said that you have
to say anything?

> The usual definitions of computable real require that the machine accept
> input n, halts and outputs the first n digits, or something like that.

Well, you could do that too if you want, but in that case not all TM
define a number. You are simply choosing a sparse representation
instead of a dense one. You know how when they're defining a system
they either have the set of wffs be represented by a sequential
(dense) number or a number where only certain (r.e. set) numbers
represent a wff? You're doing it the second way. If you do it the
first way you can have a total map from TM onto the computable real
numbers.

> >> Example 2: The TM that repeatedly changes the value in one cell, never
> >> halting, does not represent a computable real.

> > The sequence of values put into a given cell defines the decimal
> > expansion of a real number.  Every machine must distinguish between
> > scratch values and actual output.  Having a certain cell represent
> > output is also common.

> > Google "Turing Machines".
>
> So, what real number do you think example 2 computes?  And what
> convention of computable real number do you have in mind?

It represents the real number whose expansion is the sequence of non-
blank values set into that cell.

> Show me a reference or web page, rather than telling me to google Turing
> Machines.
>
> In other words, stop bluffing.

I'm not bluffing - you really can Google "Turing Machines".

Or better yet, Google "Quine Atom" and click I'm Feeling Lucky.

(Google's team of experts carefully ranks all sites of a scholarly
nature.)

C-B

> --
> Jesse F. Hughes
> "It's easy folks.  Just talk about my approach to your favorite
> mathematician.  If they can't be interested in it, they've
> demonstrated a lack of mathematical skill." -- James Harris

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie
Peter Webb