Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Virgil

In article <4c283e85$0$14086$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>,
"Peter Webb" <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote:

> "Owen Jacobson" <angrybaldguy@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > On 2010-06-27 22:59:12 -0400, Peter Webb said:
> >

> >> "Owen Jacobson" <angrybaldguy@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >> As I have said before, AFAIK there is no accepted definition of
> >> "listable".

> > Perhaps not, but as you're trying to make a point about Cantor's diagonal
> > proof, you should use a definition that's compatible with the actual
> > proof. "List" is a bit of verbal shorthand for "function from N to some
> > set" in most presentations of his proof. In a completely formal
> > presentation, it would either be defined in the proof, have a definition
> > referenced from elsewhere, or avoided entirely for exactly this reason.

> >> The definitions I have seen are all equivalent to "countable". These are
> >> not good definitions for three reasons.
> >>
> >> Firstly, we already have a perfectly good word which means "there exists
> >> a surjection from N to the set" which everybody knows, and it is
> >> "countable".

> > "Countable" only says that a mapping from N to S exists. "A list" in this
> > sense is a specific (but arbitrary) mapping from N to S; we can talk about
> > a specific list, or all lists, or we can prove that no complete list
> > (surjective mapping) exists. It's shorter than writing out "a mapping from
> > the natural numbers to S" every single time.
> >

> >> Secondly, the definition I proposed for "listable" is far more in accord
> >> with common usage.

Only in your own opinion, not in mine!

> >> Thirdly, I already provided a definition of "listable" which is
> >> equivalent to being recursively enumerable.

If one already has a definition for "recursively enumerable", what is
the point?

> > Then let's do away with the word entirely, for the sake of understanding.
> >
> > To recap: I believe your point to be that we can add the word "computable"
> > to "real" in Cantor's diagonal argument and arrive at the conclusion that
> > the computable reals are either uncountable or not recursively enumerable
> > (it's unclear which). To do this, you use an informal presentation of
> > Cantor's diagonal argument which uses the word "list". So, here is an
> > informal presentation of Cantor's diagonal argument that avoids the word
> > "list" (as well as a few other common verbal shortcuts):
> >
> > 1. Let S be the set {0, 1}^N.
> > 2. For any function L from N to S, we can identify an element of S not in
> > the image of L.
> > 3. To do so, we identify an element d of S that is the diagonal of L: for
> > every natural number x, the x'th element of d is equal to the x'th element
> > of L(x).
> > 4. Given d, we can identify an element d' of S that is the anti-diagonal
> > of L: for every natural number x, the x'th element of d' is 1 if the x'th
> > element of d is 0 and is 0 if the x'th element of d is 1.
> > 5. Since for every natural number x, L(x) differs from d' at the x'th
> > place, d' is not in the image of L.
> > 6. Therefore no function from N to S is surjective.
> >
> > Where should we insert the word "computable" (or the term "recursively
> > enumerable") to arrive at your argument?
> >

> Hmmm. This proof assumes that the function L is in fact computable, and that
> the function can be explicitly defined.

Not at all. One can give a rule which applies to an arbitrary list
regardless of the particular items being listed. This is, in fact, done
in Cantor's original diagonal proof (with binary strings from {m,w}
rather than decimals.

It does not require that any element in the listing be known, but
correctly tells what to do for any listing, computable or not.

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie
Peter Webb