Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Tim Little

On 2010-06-28, Owen Jacobson <angrybaldguy@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, here is an informal presentation of Cantor's diagonal argument
> that avoids the word "list" (as well as a few other common verbal
> shortcuts):
>
> 1. Let S be the set {0, 1}^N.
> 2. For any function L from N to S, we can identify an element of S not
> in the image of L.

Peter is incapable of separating the usual informal phrase "we can..."
from his fixed idea of "there exists a finite algorithm that can...".

So, for example:

2. For any function L from N to S, there exists an element of S not
in the image of L.

No mention of "we can identify it" or even "given L we can find it".
Those are irrelevant distractions that he will be unable to see past
to the actual matter of the proof.

- Tim

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules