Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Daryl McCullough

Tim Little says...

>On 2010-06-28, Virgil <Virgil@home.esc> wrote:

>> It does not require that any element in the listing be known, but
>> correctly tells what to do for any listing

>I think that is even a bit too informal for Peter. The phrase "tells
>what to do" is superfluous, all that is mathematically required is
>that existence of an antidiagonal sequence for each list is proven.
>He's going to latch onto "tells what to do" and think that it means
>that there is an algorithm for everything involved.
>
>Witness his confusion over the example I defined of a list where each
>entry was computable but the list itself (and its antidiagonal) was
>not. He didn't dispute that the list *existed*, but considered it
>cheating because he couldn't use the definition to extract actual
>digits of the antidiagonal - it didn't "tell him what to do" in his
>own special sense.

I never saw a response from Peter on my post about Turing machine
computability relative to an oracle. You can imagine a Turing
machine tape (the oracle) that lists codes for computable functions.
Using the oracle, you can diagonalize to get a new function that is
not listed by the oracle. This new function is computable *relative*
to the oracle, but may not be computable *without* the oracle.

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

Date Subject Author