Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Peter Webb

"Owen Jacobson" <angrybaldguy@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On 2010-06-29 04:33:09 -0400, Peter Webb said:
>

>> "Owen Jacobson" <angrybaldguy@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Here is a revised version with that error corrected:
>>>
>>> 1. Let S be the set {0, 1}^N.
>>> 2. For any function L from N to S, there exists an element of S not in
>>> the image of L.
>>> 3. There exists an element d of S with the following property: for every
>>> natural number x, the x'th element of d is equal to the x'th element of
>>> L(x).
>>> 4. Since d exists, there also exists an element d' of S with the
>>> following property: for every natural number x, the x'th element of d'
>>> is 1 if the x'th element of d is 0 and is 0 if the x'th element of d is
>>> 1.
>>> 5. Since for every natural number x, L(x) differs from d' at the x'th
>>> place, d' is not in the image of L.
>>> 6. Therefore no function from N to S is surjective.

>> The proof as you have revised it is the proof that the cardinality of a
>> powerset exceeds that of the set itself, for the special case where the
>> set is N.

> That's all that Cantor's diagonalization proof demonstrates.
>

>> As I have already said several times, I have no problem with that proof,
>> and no problem with card(P(N)) > card(N), from which the uncountability
>> of the Reals follows immediately. My problem is with the standard
>> presentation of Cantor's diagonal argument applied to decimal expansions.

> Ah. So, if we do away with informal wordings[0], your proposition
> regarding computable reals also disappears?

What proposition are you referring to?

> Then I won't think about it any further, as it's obviously not a formal
> mathematical argument. I'm still interested in the failure of
> comprehension that lead to your proposition, though.

Without you saying what the proposition was, obviously I can't respond.

>> This rather unfortunately starts off with a purported "list", and then
>> proves no such list can exist. However, there are countable subsets of R
>> which cannot be formed into an explicit list either. Proving that no
>> explicit list can exist is not the same as proving uncountability.

> Various presentations have varying degrees of formality, and some of them
> are informal enough to use the term "list" without first defining it, or
> are taken out of context and given without definitions. Invariably[1], the
> implied or omitted definition of "list of reals" is along the lines of "a
> function from N to R", without regard to computability or any other notion
> of being finitely describable.

Excepting that the standard presentation of Cantor's proof - and indeed your
first attempt at reformulating it - does assume the list is known in advance
sufficiently well that we can explicitly identify the nth digit of the nth
item.

>> I think that you have rather proved my point. You admit that your proof
>> contains an error

> No, I admit that my presentation of it contained an error: specifically, I
> was not formal enough to avoid specific misunderstandings.

What is the difference between a "proof" and a "presentation of a proof" ?
Do proofs have some kind of fixed existence independent of their
presentation?

> I made no changes to the structure of the proof; I only replaced wordings
> like "we can identify" with more formal phrasings like "there exists".

Indeed, you changed your proof (or your presentation of the proof, if that
is somehow a different thing) to eliminate exactly the problem I identified
with the standard presentation of Cantor's proof.

Given that you made and acknowledged exactly the same error as I identified
in other presentations of Cantor's proof, it seems bizarre that you would
attempt to claim the error doesn't occur - you yourself made the error,
admitted it was an error, and posted a new version without the error.

>> and you needed to change your proof to remove the explicit use of the nth
>> digit of the nth decimal.

> I deny making any such change. You have interpreted my original wording in
> a way that is incompatible with the corrected wording; however, the change
> was only to remove this source of confusion. Others (thanks, Tim!) in this
> thread would likely agree that both forms present the same argument, only
> differing in pedanticness and formality.
>
> Note that the corrected version also explicitly mentions the well, x'th
> element of L(x) when giving the properties of d. Why does the phrasing
>
> "There exists an element d of S with the following property: for every
> natural number x, the x'th element of d is equal to the x'th element of
> L(x)."
>
> not cause you to object, while the phrasing
>
> "We identify an element d of S that is the diagonal of L: for every
> natural number x, the x'th element of d is equal to the x'th element of
> L(x)."
>
> does?
>

>> In its common form, it proves that you cannot from an explicit list of
>> Reals. This does not immediately mean that the Reals are uncountable;
>> merely that they are not recursively enumerable.

> I don't understand how, given an argument that uses an undefined term
> ("list"), you would reach the conclusion that it says anything about
> recursive enumerability.

Gee, as if I hadn't explained the connection a thousand times already.

And you yourself made exactly the same error.

Cantor's digit proof in its standard form:

1. Explicitly uses the value of the nth digit of the nth element, as you
yourself did in your first go.

2. Proves that nobody can generate a list of all Reals. This does not prove
uncountability; it proves that the Reals cannot be recursively enumerated.
You can't form a list of all uncomputable Reals either, but they are
countable.

> Surely the strongest conclusion you can reach from such an argument is
> "Therefore, no list contains every real... but what's a list?"

Well, we know what a "list" is Cantor's standard proof, because of the
properties that are assumed for the list.

A list is a mapping from N -> R such that the nth digit of the nth item is
known.

> Cheers,
>
> -o

Date Subject Author