Replies: 204   Last Post: Jul 13, 2010 11:11 AM

harald

On Jul 2, 1:25 am, colp <c...@solder.ath.cx> wrote:
> On Jul 2, 2:26 am, PD <thedraperfam...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > A postulate is just an assumption with better table manners.
>
> > Yes, indeed. By DEFINITION, a postulate is something that is ASSUMED.
>
> > In science, the test of a postulate is based on experimental check of
> > the *consequences* of postulates. A direct test of the postulate is
> > not required.

> One such test is the test for paradoxes arising from one or more
> postulates. For example, the following two postulates lead to a
> paradox, meaning that not all the postulates are correct:
>
> 1. Statement 2 is true.
> 2. Statement 1 is false.
>
> The paradox that arises from the postulates of Einstein's
> "Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies" can be described as follows:
>
> "Examples of this sort, together with the unsuccessful attempts to
> discover
> any motion of the earth relatively to the ?light medium,? suggest that
> the
> phenomena of electrodynamics as well as of mechanics possess no
> properties
> corresponding to the idea of absolute rest. They suggest rather that,
> as has
> already been shown to the first order of small quantities, the same
> laws of
> electrodynamics and optics will be valid for all frames of reference
> for which the
> equations of mechanics hold good.1 We will raise this conjecture (the
> purport
> of which will hereafter be called the ?Principle of Relativity?) to
> the status
> of a postulate, and also introduce another postulate, which is only
> apparently
> irreconcilable with the former, namely, that light is always
> propagated in empty
> space with a definite velocity c which is independent of the state of
> motion of the
> emitting body."
>
> Einstien, Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies (Introduction)
>
> This text describes Einstein's postulate that there is no preferred
> inertial frame of reference.

I agree that there is a paradox in his introduction:

1. Natural phenomena (incl. mechanical phenomena) suggested to him
that these do not have "properties corresponding to the idea of
absolute rest"
2. Based on that, he accepted for all natural phenomena the classical
PoR, which is defined relative to the *special* group of reference
systems "for which the equations of mechanics hold good".

Now, that special group of reference systems of statement 2 suggested
to Newton the idea of of absolute rest - which is in disaccord with
Einstein's suggestion in statement 1!

As we know, Einstein wasn't satisfied with this himself, and he did a
last attempt with GRT. But there is no conflict of postulates, only a
poor match between a *suggestion* and a postulate.

> "If at the points A and B of K there are stationary clocks which,
> viewed in the stationary system, are synchronous; and if the clock at
> A is moved with the velocity v along the line AB to B, then on its
> arrival at B the two clocks no longer synchronize, but the clock moved
> from A to B lags behind the other which has remained at B ..."
>
> Einstien, Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies (Section 4)
>
> The text describes the time dilation of a clock that moves from point
> A to point B. If there is no preferred frame of reference then it is
> just as true to say that
> the clock is viewed as part of a stationary system and the points A
> and B are in a moving system which moves at velocity -v. The
> conclusion that time for both systems can be dilated with respect to
> the other system is paradoxical.

That is based on his suggestion 1. here above, which he did not follow
up for the 1905 theory: it was directly nullified by the restriction
(statement 2) to the special class of inertial coordinate systems.
Therefore the theory of Einstein and Lorentz was seen as a single
theory and called "special" or "restricted" relativity.

However, Einstein did acknowledge that issue as a paradox (apparent
contradiction) of GRT.

Harald

Date Subject Author
Koobee Wublee