The Math Forum

Replies: 204   Last Post: Jul 13, 2010 11:11 AM

harald

On Jul 2, 2:49 am, colp <c...@solder.ath.cx> wrote:
> On Jul 1, 9:33 pm, harald <h...@swissonline.ch> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 1, 12:47 am, colp <c...@solder.ath.cx> wrote:
>
> > > On Jul 1, 4:30 am, PD <thedraperfam...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > [..]
>
> > > <quote>

> > > Sure. You've used the statement from COLP's Oversimplified Relativity
> > > that moving clocks run slow (which you've said is true even for blue-
> > > shifted clocks), and you've used the statement that COLP's
> > > Oversimplified Relativity makes no provision whatsoever for a
> > > compression of time for a clock turning around. This immediately leads
> > > to several paradoxes, and this is ample reason to chuck Colp's
> > > Oversimplified Relativity.
> > > </quote>

> > > The statement that "moving clocks run slow" isn't an
> > > oversimplification, it is directly inferred from Einstein's
> > > "Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies".

> > > Also, Einstein's paper makes no provision whatsoever for the
> > > compression of time for a clock turning around.

> > Einstein's paper explains that clock rate (as measured with an
> > inertial coordinate system) must be the same at the same speed,
> > independent of the direction of motion of the clock. Is that what
> > you mean?

> Yes, in part. According to SR a moving clock will appear to run slower
> both when it is moving away and when it is approaching, since velocity
> is squared in the transform.

That is only a 1-D mathematical argument. Einstein used perhaps more
mathematical shortcuts than Lorentz, but just as Lorentz his arguments
were foremost *physical*. As Einstein put it:

"The laws by which the *states of physical systems undergo change* are
not affected, whether these changes of state be referred to the one or
the other of two systems of co-ordinates in uniform translatory
motion."
(emphasis mine).

He concluded that, according to measurements with an inertial
reference system, a relative to that system moving clock will run slow
by the Lorentz factor. Obviously that conclusion cannot depend on
direction.

> > > The paradoxes which arise from this are ample reason to chuck
> > > Einstein's theory.

> > What paradoxes?
>
> The paradox inherent in Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies, and the
> paradoxes arising from it, namely the twin paradox and the triplet
> paradox.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/sci.physics.relativity/browse_thread/t...

[link was truncated]

Those are paradoxes of GRT, see my parallel comment.

> > Different people perceive different paradoxes, but
> > they are all easy to explain; and probably the thinking error that you
> > fell for was already explained to you, but you either overlooked or
> > misunderstood it.

> No, that is not the case.

How do you know what you can not know?!

Harald