The Math Forum

Replies: 204   Last Post: Jul 13, 2010 11:11 AM

PD

On Jul 3, 1:04 am, colp <c...@solder.ath.cx> wrote:
> On Jul 3, 2:57 am, PD <thedraperfam...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > One such test is the test for paradoxes arising from one or more
> > > postulates. For example, the following two postulates lead to a
> > > paradox, meaning that not all the postulates are correct:

> > > 1. Statement 2 is true.
> > > 2. Statement 1 is false.

> > > The paradox that arises from the postulates of Einstein's
> > > "Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies" can be described as follows:

> > > "Examples of this sort, together with the unsuccessful attempts to
> > > discover
> > > any motion of the earth relatively to the ?light medium,? suggest that
> > > the
> > > phenomena of electrodynamics as well as of mechanics possess no
> > > properties
> > > corresponding to the idea of absolute rest. They suggest rather that,
> > > as has
> > > already been shown to the first order of small quantities, the same
> > > laws of
> > > electrodynamics and optics will be valid for all frames of reference
> > > for which the
> > > equations of mechanics hold good.1 We will raise this conjecture (the
> > > purport
> > > of which will hereafter be called the ?Principle of Relativity?) to
> > > the status
> > > of a postulate, and also introduce another postulate, which is only
> > > apparently
> > > irreconcilable with the former, namely, that light is always
> > > propagated in empty
> > > space with a definite velocity c which is independent of the state of
> > > motion of the
> > > emitting body."

> > > Einstien, Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies (Introduction)
>
> > > This text describes Einstein's postulate that there is no preferred
> > > inertial frame of reference.

> > > "If at the points A and B of K there are stationary clocks which,
> > > viewed in the stationary system, are synchronous; and if the clock at
> > > A is moved with the velocity v along the line AB to B, then on its
> > > arrival at B the two clocks no longer synchronize, but the clock moved
> > > from A to B lags behind the other which has remained at B ..."

> > > Einstien, Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies (Section 4)
>
> > > The text describes the time dilation of a clock that moves from point
> > > A to point B. If there is no preferred frame of reference then it is
> > > just as true to say that
> > > the clock is viewed as part of a stationary system and the points A
> > > and B are in a moving system which moves at velocity -v. The
> > > conclusion that time for both systems can be dilated with respect to
> > > the other system is paradoxical.

> > No, it's not paradoxical at all.
>
> It is paradoxical because time for both systems cannot be dilated with
> respect to each other.

This is your assumption about what can and cannot be.

> > In the moving frame, the clocks at A and B were never synchronous.
>
> There aren't multiple clocks in the moving system in Einstein's
> example.

There are at least two clocks. There is one at point A and there is
one at point B. One of them moves from A to B, and the other remains
at B.
In the reference frame K where A and B are at rest, then the clocks
are synchronized initially. In the reference frame K' where A and B
are moving, the clocks are NOT synchronized initially. When the clock
at A ends up next to clock B and we discover that the reading on A is
behind the reading on B, the account in the K frame is that the clocks
were initially synchronized but that A ran slower than B. The account
in the K' frame is that the clocks are NOT initially synchronized, and
so even though B ran slower than A, it is STILL true that the reading
on A is behind the reading on B when they are next to each other.

As I said, colp, it would help if you would learn what special
relativity ACTUALLY SAYS, rather than what your superficial COR says,
then you will see that there are no contradictions in SR.

PD

Date Subject Author
Koobee Wublee
Koobee Wublee