Replies: 204   Last Post: Jul 13, 2010 11:11 AM

colp

On Jul 7, 3:07 am, PD <thedraperfam...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I don't have any idea
> > > how you conclude from his postulate about no preferred frame that time
> > > for both systems cannot be dilated with respect to each other.

> > That isn't what I am saying. I'm saying that for time for both systems
> > to be dilated with respect to each other constitutes a paradox,

> No, it does not.

Yes it does. If a clock in a moving frame runs slow, then a clock in a
stationary frame runs fast when viewed from the moving frame. If that
were not the case then you would get paradoxical outcomes.

> I suspect that you believe that it is because you believe the
> statement made by relativity is that "moving clocks run slow".

Relativity makes a statement that means exactly the same thing.

"If at the points A and B of K there are stationary clocks which,
viewed in the stationary system, are synchronous; and if the clock at
A is moved with the velocity v along the line AB to B, then on its
arrival at B the two clocks no longer synchronize, but the clock moved
from A to B lags behind the other which has remained at B ..."

Einstien, Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies

> You
> hear this to mean that "Clock A is running slower than clock B, and
> clock B is running slower than clock A."

No, B only runs slower than A if there is no preferred frame of
reference.

> You furthermore believe that,
> logically, "Clock A is running slower than clock B" necessarily
> implies that "Clock B is running faster than clock A" and hence the
> paradox arises with the combination of sentences "Clock B is running
> faster than clock A" and "Clock B is running slower than clock A."

O.K.

> The problem, you see, is that the comic-book statement you are using
> as your launching point belongs in COLP's Oversimplified Relativity.

It's not a comic book statement any more than Einstein's statement
that a moving clock lags behind a stationary clock is a comic book
statement.

> Relativity doesn't make that statement as carelessly and loosely as
> you're using it.

There is nothing careless or loose about my statement.

> Instead, it makes a more precise statement about what it MEANS to say
> that Clock B is running slower than Clock A. And here is where
> identification of particular *events* comes into play. And this makes
> all the difference.

So why can't you say what the difference is if it exists? Some vague
reference to "events" doesn't cut it.

Date Subject Author
Koobee Wublee
Koobee Wublee