The Math Forum

Replies: 204   Last Post: Jul 13, 2010 11:11 AM

Aetherist

On Jul 6, 12:42 am, harald <h...@swissonline.ch> wrote:
> On Jul 5, 8:26 pm, PaulStowe<theaether...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > We agree on "pseudo", while Einstein rejected that.

> > > I did, also in the part of my sentence that you exactly here snipped:
>
> > > *you'll know what theory the paradox challenges*.
>
> > > THAT (and only that) was my point: the clock paradox challenges the
> > > General PoR.

> > > You certainly are aware that, despite Einstein's *suggestion* to that
> > > effect in the introduction of his 1905 paper, SRT is *not* based on
> > > the General PoR.

> > Strictly speaking the 'domain' of the 'special' theory of relativity
> > is limited to inertial states.  The original principle of relativity
> > as expressed in Einstein's 1905 work covered only that domain.

> PS I overlooked the error you made here - a confusion that is often
> seen. As Eric points out, SRT is *not* (never was!) limited to
> inertial states. It's the same as for Newtonian mechanics. SRT uses
> Poincare's PoR, which refers to Newtonian reference systems; and we
> can switch reference system whenever we like, using the LT. Thus the
> twin problem is a trivial exercise in SRT. The twin paradox however
> was aiming Einstein's *General* PoR.
>
> Harald

'I' never said Lorentzian Relativity (LR) or it renormalized cousin
(SR) is 'limited' to inertial frames. I said that, traditionally, the
concept commonly called 'special' relativity is such (special) because
it is considered the subset of general relativity limited to
unaccelerated frames of reference. Nature places no barrier or
boundary on relativity, human concepts do! This is why I refused to
call LR 'LET'. LR is no more limited to such artificial boundaries
than SR...

Paul Stowe

Date Subject Author
Koobee Wublee