Replies: 204   Last Post: Jul 13, 2010 11:11 AM

Daryl McCullough

Tom Roberts says...

>Daryl McCullough wrote:

>> Having said that, we can define a special group of coordinate
>> systems for the Euclidean plane---the Cartesian coordinate systems,

>Right. They are the ANALOGY of the inertial frames in relativity.
>
> But they don't form a group, they form a set or a class.
> "Group" is a technical word with a different meaning than
> you intended. The transforms between pairs of such coordinates
> form a group.

I was not meaning "group" in the technical sense, I was just meaning it in the
sense of a collection. But actually, don't they form a group? The various
Cartesian coordinate systems are related by operations such as (1) translations,
(2) rotations, (3) scale transformations. Couldn't they form a group?

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

Date Subject Author