The Math Forum

Replies: 204   Last Post: Jul 13, 2010 11:11 AM

colp

On Jul 8, 12:01 pm, "J. Clarke" <jclarke.use...@cox.net> wrote:
> On 7/7/2010 5:49 PM, colp wrote:
>

> > On Jul 8, 8:05 am, stevendaryl3...@yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough) wrote:
> >> harald says...

> >> The generalized principle of relativity is not a theory.
>
> > Right. It is an assumption, and the application of that assumption
> > leads to contradictions. This is a case of doctrinal annihilation;
> > i.e. a set of postulates that are collectively inconsistent.

> > The relevant postulates are:
>
> > 1. There is not preferred frame of reference.
> > 2. Moving clocks run slow. (Paraphrased from Einsteins
> > "Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies")

> > Since we know that moving clocks _do_ run slow, the only logical
> > conclusion is that a preferred frame of reference exists.

> How is that a logical conclusion?

It's a form of reducto ad absurdum that relies on the established fact
that in some cases moving clocks run slow.

Reductio ad absurdum is a mode of argumentation that seeks to
establish a contention by deriving an absurdity from its denial, thus
arguing that a thesis must be accepted because its rejection would be
untenable.
http://www.iep.utm.edu/reductio/

The contention that is established is that a preferred frame of
reference exists. The denial of that contention is Einstien's first
postulate of relativity, and the absurdity that results from it is the
twin paradox in its various forms.

> > The assertion that a preferred frame of reference exists is a
> > philisophical one, and points towards the epistemological schism of
> > natural philosophy which led to the development of science (i.e.
> > knowledge of the physical realm) and religion (i.e. beliefs about the
> > theological realm) as separate disciplines.

> In other words you don't like it that science doesn't let you get away
> with making up truths to suit your biases.

Wrong. Nobody can make up truth for any reason.

Date Subject Author
Koobee Wublee
Koobee Wublee
Peter Webb