The Math Forum

Topic: Tiling the plane with checkerboard patterns
Replies: 21   Last Post: Jul 14, 2010 10:33 PM

Rouben Rostamian

Re: Tiling the plane with checkerboard patterns

On Fri, Jul 09, 2010 at 06:00:32PM +0000, Avni Pllana wrote:

> I think I found the right algorithm/formula for a(n):
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>
> for n=1:5
>
> N=n^2;
> A=2;
>
> for i=1:N-1
> A=A+floor(nchoosek(N,i)/N)+mod(nchoosek(N,i),N);
> end
>
> a(n)=A;
>
> end
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Avni, that's wonderful! It produces the exact
values for a(n), n=1,2,3,4,5. Do you have a proof
for the general case?

Rouben

Aside: Since the Matlab program above is limited
by its dependence on floating point arithmetic
to the range n=1,2,...,7, I recoded your algorithm
in Maple which performs integer arithmetic with no
limits. Here is the Maple's version of your formula:

a := proc(n::posint)
local N, b;
N := n^2;
b := binomial(N,i);
return sum( iquo(b,N) + irem(b, N), i=0..N);
end proc:

Then the command "seq(a(n), n=1..9);" produces
the values of a(n) for n=1,2,...,9:

n a(n)
1 2
2 7
3 64
4 4156
5 1342208
6 1908874521
7 11488774559744
8 288230376151712689
9 29850020237398251228192

Date Subject Author
7/6/10
Read Tiling the plane with checkerboard patterns
Rouben Rostamian
7/7/10
Read Re: Tiling the plane with checkerboard patterns
Avni Pllana
7/8/10
Read Re: Tiling the plane with checkerboard patterns
mark
7/9/10
Read Re: Tiling the plane with checkerboard patterns
Rouben Rostamian
7/9/10
Read Re: Tiling the plane with checkerboard patterns
Avni Pllana
7/9/10
Read Re: Tiling the plane with checkerboard patterns
Rouben Rostamian
7/10/10
Read Re: Tiling the plane with checkerboard patterns
Avni Pllana
7/10/10
Read Re: Tiling the plane with checkerboard patterns
mark
7/11/10
Read Re: Tiling the plane with checkerboard patterns
Rouben Rostamian
7/11/10
Read Re: Tiling the plane with checkerboard patterns
mark
7/11/10
Read Re: Tiling the plane with checkerboard patterns
Rouben Rostamian
7/11/10
Read Re: Tiling the plane with checkerboard patterns
mark
7/12/10
Read Re: Tiling the plane with checkerboard patterns
Rouben Rostamian
7/13/10
Read Re: Tiling the plane with checkerboard patterns
mark
7/14/10
Read Re: Tiling the plane with checkerboard patterns
Rouben Rostamian
7/14/10
Read Re: Tiling the plane with checkerboard patterns
mark
7/11/10
Read Re: Tiling the plane with checkerboard patterns
Rouben Rostamian
7/14/10
Read Re: Tiling the plane with checkerboard patterns
Avni Pllana
7/14/10
Read Re: Tiling the plane with checkerboard patterns
Rouben Rostamian
7/13/10
Read Re: Tiling the plane with checkerboard patterns
Mary Krimmel
7/14/10