Replies: 204   Last Post: Jul 13, 2010 11:11 AM

PD

On Jul 9, 7:05 pm, kenseto <kens...@erinet.com> wrote:
> On Jul 9, 3:02 pm, PD <thedraperfam...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > How, exactly?

> > > If they are not synchronized in the K' frame, then the K frame becomes
> > > the preferred frame of reference, which contradicts Einstein's first
> > > postulate.

> > Why? Two clocks being synchronized or not synchronized do not
> > determine a preferred frame.
> > A preferred frame is one in which the LAWS OF PHYSICS are different
> > than in other frames.

> In that case what are the differences in the LAWS OF PHYSICS between a
> preferred frame and an inertial frame?

Well, that would be the point. We've never discovered a frame in which
the laws of physics are different.

> For eample: Does a preferred
> observer's clock runs at a different rate than an inertial SR
> observer's clock....does it runs fast or slow??? Failure to answer
> this question will mean that you are trying to bull shit your way out.

Ken, the rate of a clock is not a law of physics.
It might help to learn the meaning of terms used in physics before
trying to discuss them.
Here's one to learn: "law of physics".

> Ken Seto
>

> > Perhaps the difficulty is in your understanding of what a preferred
> > frame means.

> > > Yes, I agree.

> > > The implication is that if there is no preferred frame of reference
> > > then predictions made in one inertial frame will be just as valid as
> > > predictions made in any other inertial frame, and if it is possible to
> > > synchronize clocks in one inertial frame them it is possible to
> > > synchronize clocks in any other inertial frame.

> > It is of course possible to resynchronize the clocks in K'. However,
> > this will mean that they are no longer synchronized in K. What is true
> > is that there is no way to have them be synchronized in BOTH K and K'
> > at once.

> > Now, again, if you are reading the principle of relativity to say that
> > "Clocks that are synchronized in one inertial frame are also
> > synchronized in other inertial frames," then you do not understand
> > what the principle of relativity says.

> > The principle of relativity does NOT say that an observation in one
> > inertial frame will be identical to an observation in any other
> > inertial frame. For example, an object that is stationary in one
> > inertial frame would not be expected to be stationary in other
> > inertial frames. Nor does it mean that the values of physical
> > quantities are the same in all inertial frames. For example, the
> > momentum of an object or even a closed system in one inertial frame is
> > not the same as that same quantity in other inertial frames.

> > The principle of relativity explicitly makes a statement about the
> > form of the LAWS OF PHYSICS in different inertial frames being
> > identical.

> > So, it appears that so far, we've had to explain to you what a
> > preferred frame means, and what the principle of relativity means.

> > > Are you saying that the clock at A in K (that is synchronized with the
> > > clock at B in K) will not initially show the same time as the clock at
> > > A' in K' (that is synchronized with the clock at B' in K'?

> > That's right, if B is synchronized with B'. Note that you do not need
> > these two extra clocks. Let's stick with the two clocks in Einstein's
> > statement, so I can explain exactly what he is saying.

> > > What I am adding (two more clocks in K') does not change Einstein's
> > > postulates. Neither does making predictions from the point of view of
> > > an observer in each frame affect the postulates.

> > > Right.

> > > I'm not talking about the same two clocks. I'm talking about two
> > > frames which are the same in all respects except for their relative
> > > motion (in order to establish symmetry). Thus in the K frame the clock
> > > at A' moves from A to B. When point A = point A', the clocks at these
> > > points are synchronized, just as Einstein's clock at A was
> > > synchronized with B before it moved towards B.

> > > Looking at the situation from the point of view of an observer in K',
> > > the clock at B moves from B' to A'.- Hide quoted text -

Date Subject Author
Koobee Wublee
Koobee Wublee
Peter Webb