The Math Forum

Replies: 204   Last Post: Jul 13, 2010 11:11 AM

colp

On Jul 12, 10:36 am, stevendaryl3...@yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
wrote:
> harald says...
>

> >Why is correct information relevant? Why are you trying to explain to
> >Colp the correct postulates of SRT, if such things are completely
> >irrelevant? Why not just dish up stories that you like, as others have
> >done to you?

> I think that the phrase "correct information" means something different
> to you than it does to me. The theories of classical mechanics,
> elecromagnetism, and relativity have developed since the times of
> Newton, Maxwell and Einstein. I believe that those subjects are better
> understood by physicists today than they were by the people that created
> the subjects. You might think that by definition that's impossible;
> if people understand something different than Newton did, then what
> they are doing is not Newtonian mechanics, it's something different.
> Fine. It's something different, that's *derived* from Newton's physics,
> and is still generally called "Newtonian physics" in his honor.

It doesn't honor someone to apply his name to a theory that he never
believed in.

> In my view, an argument made by Newton in the 1600s may or may not
> be relevant today. Physicists are not prophets, their words are not
> holy scripture. We don't need to believe something because Newton
> or Einstein believed it.
>
> It's funny, the various anti-relativity "dissidents" have exactly
> the wrong impression. They think that physicists today believe
> relativity out of some kind of Einstein worship.

Speaking only for myself, it's not all physicists, and it is the
philosophical idea of relativism rather than Einstein & his work.

> Nothing could
> be farther from the truth. People believe relativity today because
> they've been studying it (and refining our understanding of it) for
> 100 years.

Historically that hasn't been the case. Relativity was adopted because
it filled a philosophical niche, not because of it's value as a
predictive tool.

> Newton's physics has been studied for much longer. We
> understand these theories pretty well today, and we understand their
> power for describing the universe.
>
> If there were other beliefs or writings of Newton or Einstein that
> get much less attention today, then the chances are great that it's
> because they aren't that important, or they are wrong, or they've
> been replaced by clearer foundations.

As if attention was solely a function of the scientific merit of a
theory. The politicization of science should be manifestly evident in
the AGW/ACC debate and the related funding of science by governmental
agencies.

> What I've tried to explain to Colp is the mathematical structure of
> Special Relativity as it is understood today. Not necessarily as
> it was understood by Einstein. The latter is not particularly interesting
> to me. Whether Newton believed in an absolute standard for rest is
> not particularly interesting to me. I'm interested in any arguments
> by people who *still* believe that there is evidence for the existence
> of an absolute standard for rest.

Well, there is the Hafele-Keating experiment, for a start. The HK
experiment only validates relativity from a single frame of reference,
and thus is better undedtood as confirmation of the preferred frame
theory.

Date Subject Author
Koobee Wublee
Koobee Wublee