The Math Forum

Replies: 204   Last Post: Jul 13, 2010 11:11 AM

harald

On Jul 12, 1:06 am, stevendaryl3...@yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
wrote:
> [...]

> began to move: but the vessel, by gradually communicating its motion to the
> water, will make it begin sensibly to evolve, and recede by little and little
> from the middle, and ascend to the sides of the vessel, forming itself into a
> concave figure (as I have experienced), and the swifter the motion becomes, the
> higher will the water rise, till at last, performing its revolutions in the same
> times with the vessel, it becomes relatively at rest in it. This ascent of the
> water shows its endeavour to recede from the axis of its motion; and the true
> and absolute circular motion of the water, which is here directly contrary to
> the relative, discovers itself, and may be measured by this endeavour. At first,
> when the relative motion of the water in the vessel was greatest, it produced no
> endeavour to recede from the axis; the water showed no tendency to the
> circumference, nor any ascent towards the sides of the vessel, but remained of a
> plain surface, and therefore its true circular motion had not yet begun. But
> afterwards, when the relative motion of the water had decreased, the ascent
> thereof towards the sides of the vessel proved its endeavour to recede from the
> axis; and this endeavour showed the real circular motion of the water
> perpetually increasing, till it had acquired its greatest quantity, when the
> water rested relatively in the vessel. And therefore this endeavour, does not
> depend upon any translation of the water in respect of the ambient bodies, nor
> can true circular motion be defined by such translation. There is only one real
> circular motion of any one revolving body, corresponding to only one power of
> endeavouring to recede from its axis of motion, as its proper and adequate
> effect; but relative motions, in one and the same body, are innumerable,
> according to the various relations it bears to external bodies, and like other
> relations, are altogether destitute of any real effect, any otherwise than they
> may partake of that one only true motion. And therefore in their system who
> suppose that our heavens, revolving below the sphere of the fixed stars, carry
> the planets along with them; the several parts of those heavens and the planets,
> which are indeed relatively at rest in their heavens, do yet really move. For
> they change their position one to another (which never happens to bodies truly
> at rest), and being carried together with their heavens, partake of their
> motions, and as parts of revolving wholes, endeavour to recede from the axis of
> their motions.
> ------------------End Newton quote-----------------------------------------
>
> This argument is completely wrong, if it is understood as an argument in favor
> of an absolute standard for rest. All the phenomena that he describes for
> absolute motion (you spin a bucket of water, and the surface of the water
> becomes concave) works exactly the same way in *any* inertial frame. It

Indeed it doesn't, nor did I see him pretend that it does...
As you know, the PoR is included in Newtonian mechanics (just in other
words).

> What these experiments *do* single out are the inertial frames.

Exactly, that's the point.

> If you havce a
> system of coordinates, you can by performing various experiments determine
> whether your coordinates are inertial, Cartesian coordinates, as opposed to
> curvilinear, accelerated coordinates.

Einstein understood (AFTER 1905) that Newton tried to model a physical
cause; and that only Mach proposed an alternative explanation (instead
of "Space", "the stars"). However, neither Mach nor himself could
create a fully "Machian" theory - and, if I'm not mistaken, nobody
else so far.

> How much does an incorrect argument count towards a conclusion? I would say
> nothing at all. Newton's arguments, to the extent that they are arguing for
> the existence of an absolute standard of rest, are incorrect.
>
> Now, it's always possible that I've misinterpreted Newton. He's not around to
> say one way or the other.

Yes you surely did misinterpret him - but there isn't much room for
such misunderstandings.

Regards,
Harald

Date Subject Author