Topic: Traditional versus reform
Replies: 34   Last Post: Feb 27, 1999 2:24 AM

Greg Goodknight

Re: Traditional versus reform

Of course, not even Mathematically Correct is calling for "Back to Basics" but
rather a restoration of a mastery of basic skills as a part of the K~12
curriculum. In a state where the top rated elementary curriculum included
calculators in the 1st grade and completely eliminated long division in the
middle grades and the most popular algebra program eschews symbolic manipulation
for graphical solutions, a restoration of basic skills as a PART of the
curriculum seems a sober prescription to most.

Also, 'new new math', being unique, seems fine as a popular label for the
so-called "reform math". "New Math" was a clean break from the mythical
traditional math. "New New Math" is a clean break from "New Math". Of course,
there is always "Whole Math", "Fuzzy Math", "Fuzzy Crap" and "Placebo Math", the
latter the apparent favorite from the Salk Institute, all of which have their
places.

-Greg Goodknight
Nevada City, California

PS A question I've never had answered: can anyone with firm ties to the NCTM
please venture an opinion whether or not MathLand, from Creative Publications,
conforms to the NCTM Standards.