Topic: What are space and time?
Replies: 184   Last Post: Nov 19, 2012 9:14 PM

Tim Golden http://bandtech.com

Re: What are space and time?

On Jul 20, 1:03 pm, Huang <huangxienc...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]

> > provide observational correspondence.

> > - Tim

> > > Very surprised that you didnt press me to validate even a single claim
> > > among the many I have made above. You are all really lousy scientists,
> > > and probably havent been laid in years.- Hide quoted text -

> Starting with some preliminaries:
>
> If one adopts the view of existential indeterminacy then you dont
> really have axioms which form the basis of mathematics. There should
> be a conjectural equivalent of every axiom, but strictly speaking
> there are no true axioms in the sense of mathematics. Futher, I dont
> want to fall back on axioms or their equivalent because that could be
> seen as a kind of philosophical cop-out.
>
> So, to justify [6] above I would proceed as follows:
>
> Physical length may be modelled as a conglomerate of existent segments
> and nonexistent segments. Planck length is the smallest unit of length
> which can exist from the point of view of approaching physics with
> standard mathematics. My claim is that this property can also be
> understood using conjectural methods (in place of mathematics) and is
> a consequence of mixing the existent and the nonexistent length
> segments. At this point I will remind readers that I do not believe
> that this is the only correct view, but that there are several
> approaches which are correct and would be equivalent in the sense of
> Einstein's Equivalence Principle.
>
> Suppose you have a segment which is existent and write it as
> [eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee]
>
> and you also have a nonexistent segment and you write it as
> [nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn]
>
> If you combine these segments into a kind of conglomerate you can have
> uncountably many different configurations which are all equivalent.
> Some examples of would include an infinite number of different
> discrete partiions, and also an infinite number of continuous
> distributions which is modellable as a collection of gradients. I wont
> include a graphic for that, you'll have to visualize it.
>
> My claim is that there is a ratio of existent/nonexistent where
> nonexistence is more (a) "probable" than existence, and that is why we
> have Planck Length. For some proportional combinations existence is
> expected, and for others nonexistence would be expected. Planck Length
> represents a ratio of 50:50 potential for existence, any proportion
> less than this and nonexistence becomes the expected outcome if one
> were to attempt to make an observation.
>
> This approach is conjectural, but should have a mathematical
> couterpart which is based on existential dichotomy. Both approaches
> are equivalent IMO. The problem is that no-one has thought of the
> mathematical explanation yet because it is philosophically
> intractible.
>
> So, when we mix the existent with the nonexistent we obtain a
> conglomerate, and Planck Length is a limit on the extent to which
> space may be bent by performing such operations.

OK Huang. I will have to make my own interpretation of your
nonexistent length, but here is my next criticism: here you state that
space may be bent by mixing your enlength (new word: quip of existent
nonexistent length), yet the meaning of bending space via the
construction is completely ignored here. To take this level of freedom
there is a large gap you will have to fill in, and the level of
interpretation that you surmise does not seem so straightforward as
you propose. I can't buy this as a serious analysis, particularly not
atop granting existence to nonexistent length. Still, I accept that
you are a complex thinker and have formed a thought process that you
are sticking with. To me the trouble is that the steps are too large.
I encourage you keep taking the freedoms you do, but also encourage
you to take a more critical view of your own work.

- Tim

> If it were not for
> this limitation we would be able to bend space in ways which nature
> will not allow. This is similar to the speed of light being the cosmic
> speed limit. I do not have a more formal derivation at this time but
> believe that it may be easier to model this using conjecture than
> mathematics, and then convert the whole thing back into a mathematical
> argument. I should probably study some more QM and try to make some
> more formal derivations, but it does seem that gravity would be a
> pretty good place to start.
>
> (a) I used the word "probable" for illustrative purposes only. Formal
> probability theory technically cannot be used to make conjectures
> because PT is orthodox mathematics. Instead, existential potential
> must be used in place of probability theory. But to make the
> explanation as clear as possible I sometimes use the word "probable"
> as a means of conveying the broader idea.

Date Subject Author
7/7/10
Read What are space and time?
Immortalist
7/7/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Sir Frederick
8/10/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Malrassic Park
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Sam Wormley
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Fred J. McCall
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Michael C
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Michael C
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Sam Wormley
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Mark Earnest
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Giga2
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Mike Helland
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Sam Wormley
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Sam Wormley
7/21/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Eric Chomko
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Mike Helland
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
mikegordge@xtra.co.nz
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Fred J. McCall
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
John Stafford
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
harald
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
bert
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Pat Flannery
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Neil Gerace
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
John Stafford
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Pat Flannery
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
John Stafford
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
John Stafford
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Sam Wormley
7/11/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Wordsmith
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Brian Q. Hutchings
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
GSS
7/9/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Dan Cass
7/10/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
kado@nventure.com
7/10/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
mikegordge@xtra.co.nz
7/11/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
kado@nventure.com
7/11/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
mikegordge@xtra.co.nz
7/14/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
kado@nventure.com
7/14/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
mikegordge@xtra.co.nz
7/16/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
kado@nventure.com
7/16/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
mikegordge@xtra.co.nz
7/16/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
mikegordge@xtra.co.nz
7/10/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
mikegordge@xtra.co.nz
7/21/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Eric Chomko
7/22/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
mikegordge@xtra.co.nz
7/11/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
zee90
7/11/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
ZerkonXXXX
7/11/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Fred J. McCall
7/11/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Brian Q. Hutchings
7/16/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Paul A. Suhler
7/16/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
John Stafford
7/16/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Androcles
7/11/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Wordsmith
7/11/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Wordsmith
7/11/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Immortalist
7/11/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
mikegordge@xtra.co.nz
7/12/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Brian Q. Hutchings
7/14/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
mikegordge@xtra.co.nz
7/14/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
OwlHoot
7/14/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Tim Golden http://bandtech.com
7/14/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
John Stafford
7/14/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Brian Q. Hutchings
7/16/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Tim Golden http://bandtech.com
7/16/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
John Stafford
7/21/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Tim Golden http://bandtech.com
7/21/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
John Stafford
7/24/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Tim Golden http://bandtech.com
7/24/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
jjs
7/25/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Tim Golden http://bandtech.com
8/24/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Darwin123
8/24/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
John Stafford
8/26/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Darwin123
8/26/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Andre Lieven
8/27/10
Read Is Minkowski's spacetime just a 3d flipbook?
Brian Q. Hutchings
7/19/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
jmfbahciv
7/19/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
huangxienchen@yahoo.com
7/19/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
huangxienchen@yahoo.com
7/20/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
jmfbahciv
7/20/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
jmfbahciv
7/29/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Rock Brentwood
7/29/10
[...]
7/31/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
mikegordge@xtra.co.nz
7/22/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
huangxienchen@yahoo.com
7/22/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
jjs
7/22/10
Read Re: What are space and time? These are them:
Guest
7/22/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
huangxienchen@yahoo.com
7/23/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
jjs
7/23/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
huangxienchen@yahoo.com
7/23/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
jjs
7/23/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
John Stafford
7/23/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
huangxienchen@yahoo.com
7/23/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
jmfbahciv
7/25/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
jmfbahciv
7/25/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Vladimir Kirov
7/26/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
jmfbahciv
7/25/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Vladimir Kirov
7/25/10
Read Re: What are space, and time for BP's cap&trade nostrum (circa
Waxman's '91 bill on acid rain)
Brian Q. Hutchings
7/26/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
[...]
[...]