Topic: What are space and time?
Replies: 184   Last Post: Nov 19, 2012 9:14 PM

Tim Golden http://bandtech.com

Re: What are space and time?

On Jul 22, 10:14 pm, Huang <huangxienc...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]

> > > standard mathematics. My claim is that this property can also be
> > > understood using conjectural methods (in place of mathematics) and is
> > > a consequence of mixing the existent and the nonexistent length
> > > segments. At this point I will remind readers that I do not believe
> > > that this is the only correct view, but that there are several
> > > approaches which are correct and would be equivalent in the sense of
> > > Einstein's Equivalence Principle.

> > > Suppose you have a segment which is existent and write it as
> > > [eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee]

> > > and you also have a nonexistent segment and you write it as
> > > [nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn]

> > > If you combine these segments into a kind of conglomerate you can have
> > > uncountably many different configurations which are all equivalent.
> > > Some examples of would include an infinite number of different
> > > discrete partiions, and also an infinite number of continuous
> > > distributions which is modellable as a collection of gradients. I wont
> > > include a graphic for that, you'll have to visualize it.

> > > My claim is that there is a ratio of existent/nonexistent where
> > > nonexistence is more (a) "probable" than existence, and that is why we
> > > have Planck Length. For some proportional combinations existence is
> > > expected, and for others nonexistence would be expected. Planck Length
> > > represents a ratio of 50:50 potential for existence, any proportion
> > > less than this and nonexistence becomes the expected outcome if one
> > > were to attempt to make an observation.

> > > This approach is conjectural, but should have a mathematical
> > > couterpart which is based on existential dichotomy. Both approaches
> > > are equivalent IMO. The problem is that no-one has thought of the
> > > mathematical explanation yet because it is philosophically
> > > intractible.

> > > So, when we mix the existent with the nonexistent we obtain a
> > > conglomerate, and Planck Length is a limit on the extent to which
> > > space may be bent by performing such operations.

> > OK Huang. I will have to make my own interpretation of your
> > nonexistent length, but here is my next criticism: here you state that
> > space may be bent by mixing your enlength (new word: quip of existent
> > nonexistent length), yet the meaning of bending space via the
> > construction is completely ignored here. To take this level of freedom
> > there is a large gap you will have to fill in, and the level of
> > interpretation that you surmise does not seem so straightforward as
> > you propose. I can't buy this as a serious analysis, particularly not
> > atop granting existence to nonexistent length. Still, I accept that
> > you are a complex thinker and have formed a thought process that you
> > are sticking with. To me the trouble is that the steps are too large.
> > I encourage you keep taking the freedoms you do, but also encourage
> > you to take a more critical view of your own work.

> > - Tim
>
> A fair criticism and you probably gave me more than most would dare.

Well, I have a consideration: that a new correct theory may not have a
clean translation into ordinary language, so that even the person
carrying the theory may not have a clean expression for their theory.
So I am willing to consider that you could be that person, and am just
helping by challenging your translation. Still, we have to admit that
not everybodies theory can be this good, and likely most of us have
theories much less than perfect. Anyway, by the translation problem it
puts most of us in the same boat.

This also has a causative side effect on ordinary theories: they tend
to develop in small incremental steps, or else they may be declared
invalid. This can be regarded as a handicap of existing physics. It is
a valid concern, and we all should attempt to work from some basis
that is shared, otherwise you are out on your own, and attempts to
communicate will yield poor feedback. So you can either be
handicapped, or a complete freak. Then too, there are the monkeys in
the tree, who live a comfortable life and still find new fruit.
Whatever way you look at it, the subject is pretty interesting.

> Just to elaborate a bit on the space bending might be in order...
>
> If you have model one of these gradients using conjectural methods,
> the whole thing should be easily convertible back into standard
> mathematics. However, we know what bent space looks like in the
> context of relativity. It is not so simple a thing, it is a bit
> tricky. Standard GR does not just hand you some bend space like a
> warped piece of plastic. You have to proceed like Einstein to say that
> acceleration is equivalent to a gravity field, and so whether space is
> bent or not can depend on your frame of reference.
>
> When you convert form conjecture back to mathematics, it must map to
> that same exact siatuation in GR somehow.
>
> I think that when you take the nonexistent and mix with the existent,
> you have infinitely many possible ways to partition such a
> conglomerate and they are all "equivalent" - THIS is critical to
> understand how to do that. Critical to understand how to map to that
> peculiar situation which we find in GR.
>
> Now for the mind blower -
>
> Modelling with Existential Indeterminacy is "equivalent" to modelling
> with mathematics. So - any space bending which you do by making
> conjectural models is essentially nullified when you convert back to
> mathematics. So - we have something very similar to the case we
> discussed in GR. The space bending can be made to "go away" due to an
> equivalence relation, just like in GR.

Hmmm... It has troubled me that the measuring rod in a bent space will
read straight and perfect to a likewise bent observer, with light
waves travelling their straight as an arrow path in the bent space...
really it's quite disgusting. Then, too, to define such a bent space
we will be needing a straight space to declare the bent space in.
Still, there is experimenatl agreement. But that doesn't mean that it
is the final theory.

- Tim

> Mind bending !!

Date Subject Author
7/7/10
Read What are space and time?
Immortalist
7/7/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Sir Frederick
8/10/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Malrassic Park
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Sam Wormley
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Fred J. McCall
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Michael C
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Michael C
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Sam Wormley
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Mark Earnest
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Giga2
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Mike Helland
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Sam Wormley
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Sam Wormley
7/21/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Eric Chomko
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Mike Helland
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
mikegordge@xtra.co.nz
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Fred J. McCall
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
John Stafford
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
harald
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
bert
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Pat Flannery
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Neil Gerace
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
John Stafford
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Pat Flannery
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
John Stafford
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
John Stafford
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Sam Wormley
7/11/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Wordsmith
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Brian Q. Hutchings
7/8/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
GSS
7/9/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Dan Cass
7/10/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
kado@nventure.com
7/10/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
mikegordge@xtra.co.nz
7/11/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
kado@nventure.com
7/11/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
mikegordge@xtra.co.nz
7/14/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
kado@nventure.com
7/14/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
mikegordge@xtra.co.nz
7/16/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
kado@nventure.com
7/16/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
mikegordge@xtra.co.nz
7/16/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
mikegordge@xtra.co.nz
7/10/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
mikegordge@xtra.co.nz
7/21/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Eric Chomko
7/22/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
mikegordge@xtra.co.nz
7/11/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
zee90
7/11/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
ZerkonXXXX
7/11/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Fred J. McCall
7/11/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Brian Q. Hutchings
7/16/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Paul A. Suhler
7/16/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
John Stafford
7/16/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Androcles
7/11/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Wordsmith
7/11/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Wordsmith
7/11/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Immortalist
7/11/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
mikegordge@xtra.co.nz
7/12/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Brian Q. Hutchings
7/14/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
mikegordge@xtra.co.nz
7/14/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
OwlHoot
7/14/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Tim Golden http://bandtech.com
7/14/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
John Stafford
7/14/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Brian Q. Hutchings
7/16/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Tim Golden http://bandtech.com
7/16/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
John Stafford
7/21/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Tim Golden http://bandtech.com
7/21/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
John Stafford
7/24/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Tim Golden http://bandtech.com
7/24/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
jjs
7/25/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Tim Golden http://bandtech.com
8/24/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Darwin123
8/24/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
John Stafford
8/26/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Darwin123
8/26/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Andre Lieven
8/27/10
Read Is Minkowski's spacetime just a 3d flipbook?
Brian Q. Hutchings
7/19/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
jmfbahciv
7/19/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
huangxienchen@yahoo.com
7/19/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
huangxienchen@yahoo.com
7/20/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
jmfbahciv
7/20/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
jmfbahciv
7/29/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Rock Brentwood
7/29/10
[...]
7/31/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
mikegordge@xtra.co.nz
7/22/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
huangxienchen@yahoo.com
7/22/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
jjs
7/22/10
Read Re: What are space and time? These are them:
Guest
7/22/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
huangxienchen@yahoo.com
7/23/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
jjs
7/23/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
huangxienchen@yahoo.com
7/23/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
jjs
7/23/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
John Stafford
7/23/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
huangxienchen@yahoo.com
7/23/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
jmfbahciv
7/25/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
jmfbahciv
7/25/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Vladimir Kirov
7/26/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
jmfbahciv
7/25/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
Vladimir Kirov
7/25/10
Read Re: What are space, and time for BP's cap&trade nostrum (circa
Waxman's '91 bill on acid rain)
Brian Q. Hutchings
7/26/10
Read Re: What are space and time?
[...]
[...]