Topic: History
Replies: 14   Last Post: Sep 2, 2000 3:10 PM

Wayne Bishop

RE: History

While teaching high school in the Chicago area and working on my master's
degree for mathematics teachers at Northwestern, I took the required
history course. It was taught by a visiting professor from Israel, whose
name escapes me at the moment. He began the course with, "I had to take
history of mathematics once. The instructor began the course with the
statement, 'One important part of the history of mathematics is group
theory.' And the course was entirely a course in group theory. Another
important part of the history of mathematics is topology." The word
"history" was never used again and the only book required, and it was
definitely used, was by Steenrod.

A bit mathematically arrogant perhaps, but it does bring up a serious
concern. Too many of our education students take history of mathematics as
a way to *avoid* mathematics and history of mathematics "education" tends
to be even less mathematically oriented. Its a bit like a student blind
from birth taking art history or deaf from birth in music history. It's
intellectually possible, of course, might even be the best student in the
class, but it seems still seems to be missing something.

Wayne.