Topic: History
Replies: 14   Last Post: Sep 2, 2000 3:10 PM

Wayne Bishop

Re: History

At 09:49 PM 9/1/00 -0400, Michael Paul Goldenberg wrote:

>There are rumors that some math majors sign up for History of the English
>Language to avoid having to take a more demanding literature course. (Hell,
>*I* signed up for it in graduate school to avoid the other option: Old
>English ;^) ).

My understanding was that most graduate level courses in the History of the
English Language are quite substantive and, although someone may know of an
exception or two, are conducted almost entirely in English, not as a way of
avoiding English itself. But you are the expert in graduate English, do
you have some counterexamples to offer us? Thanks in advance,

Wayne.