Topic: History
Replies: 14   Last Post: Sep 2, 2000 3:10 PM

Michael Paul Goldenberg

From: Ann Arbor, MI
Registered: 12/3/04
re: History
att1.html (2.7 K)

>From: Frank Gardella <fgardell@idt.net>
>To: amte@esunix.emporia.edu
>Subject: Re: History
>Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 00:51:34 -0400
>
><<Wayne Bishop wrote:
>
>Too many of our education students take history of mathematics as a way to
>*avoid* mathematics >>
>

>Does anyone know where this is actually happening? If it does happen, it
>should be changed. If it doesn't, then this is the type of generalization
>which does no one any good.
>
>Also, I thinkt a history of mathematics education must include a thorough
>study of the many reform movements and what caused them.
>
>It would be interesting to add to David Slavit's list. No paragraphs.
>Just
>outline notes to add to David's great start.
>
>Take care,
>
>Frank Gardella
>Hunter College

While we wait for some proof of yet another fascinating claim, I'd like to
thank those who have provided substantive replies and useful information on
what might make for an effective history of mathematics course. It's
unfortunate that some people are so insecure that they not only need to
attack teaching the pedagogical and philosophical aspects of mathematics,
but the study of its history as well.

One wonders what the great polymath, Leibniz, would have thought of such
narrow minds.

-mpg

p.s.: It's 9/2 and the list seems to yet live.
------
Michael Paul Goldenberg Washtenaw Technical Middle College
5900 Bridge Rd #715 LA 230L
Ypsilanti, MI 48197 Ann Arbor, MI 48106

home 734 482-0497 work 734 973-3410
cell 734 604-8559

"Truth is a mobile army of metaphors." Friedrich Nietzsche