Topic: source of datasets
Replies: 1   Last Post: Feb 20, 1995 9:26 AM

Chris Olsen

Re: source of datasets

On Sun, 19 Feb 1995, Ashish Sen wrote:

> Several books come with data diskets. For example my book [Sen. A and
> Srivastava, M.S, Regression Analysis: theory, methods and applications]
> comes with a disk of data sets, which cover a wide variety of fields.
> IF someone wishes to undertake compiling a collection of data sets, I
> think very rich sources exist.

Thank you very much for this information. I am concerned about copy-
right violations, however. Could you provide some guidance on the legal
aspects of copying data? I know I have copied a lot of data from articles
and books and I use it in class -- but if we are thinking of storing this
electronically, I think we should check the legal implications. As an
author yourself, what are your thoughts? Perhaps your publisher could
provide some guidance?

I agree that very rich sources exist -- from the sounds of things, easy
access to an archive would be helpful to all us stat teachers. Perhaps
the ASA could get involved?

-- Chris Olsen