The Math Forum

Topic: Diversity in The Academe
Replies: 3   Last Post: Sep 6, 2010 4:20 PM

kirby urner

Re: Diversity in The Academe

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 12:50 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 9:09 PM, Haim <hpipik@netzero.com> wrote:
>> http://www.mindingthecampus.com/forum/2010/08/prof_espenshade_runs_from_his_1.html
>>
>> ".... To have the same chances of gaining admission as a black student with an SAT score of 1100, an Hispanic student otherwise equally matched in background characteristics would have to have a 1230, a white student a 1410, and an Asian student a 1550."
>>
>> Haim
>> We're buying shrimp, guys.
>>

> Have looked over some shoulders of international conference organizers,
> I'm no more aware that not every country is friendly to the kinds of sorting,
> or "keeping tabs" which Americans favor.  For example, having these

"I'm now more aware" meant to say, sheesh.

This is of course a continuation of my Hollerith thread.

http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2010/08/sharing-darkness.html

Holocaust deniers come in many stripes, and in many cases you'll get
through an entire technical education in math, science and/or
engineering and never get any of the relevant lore, cautionary true
stories regarding the abuses of technology.

Judge a curriculum by what it omits in those cases.

If you're learning about SQL, you should have learned about "keeping
tabs" and the Hollerith technology, how it was used, why some
countries to this very day are leery of those "check boxes" asking
lots of uncomfortable and intrusive questions.

Another 3-letter technology I'm going to be harping on more is SVG.
To have a whole year of flatlander geometry (what we call "Euclidean
geometry") with no mention of SVG is another one of the "artificial
divides" which keeps mathematicians insulated and out of touch.

Here's a real world technology which, like Postscript, is getting to
be ubiquitous, and yet the math teacher typically has no stories to
tell, no Youtubes to show, no student projects to suggest.

Repeat this scenario over and over and you get an idea of how children
fall behind in this culture. They're saddled with calculators and a
lot of nasty attitudes, some of them rather ethnically biased. Again,
why accept this status quo? We're talking about free software on
commodity hardware, not huge outlays or budget boosts. Yes there are
costs, but in the Global U, education is what we do (lots of partially
overlapping work / study programs).

A new kind of more well-rounded teacher, in a school committed to true
diversity, would not hesitate to share how social Darwinism has been
misapplied by ignorant pseudo-scientists, again and again.

Those who truly understand genetics are less likely to sucker for the
"race meme" and its many bogus manifestations (the race meme has an
especially poor track record when combined with nationalism).

Many who pride themselves on being logical still won't address the
concept of race directly ("is it real?") which speaks volumes about
the weakness of their philosophy.

Even those with the protection of tenure have been lazily opting out
of key debates -- something that can't be blamed on "Islamic
fundamentalism" for a change (refreshing).

Kirby