Topic: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Replies: 40   Last Post: Sep 16, 2010 5:02 PM

Jonathan Groves

From: Kaplan University, Argosy University, Florida Institute of Technology
Registered: 8/18/05
Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan

Dom and others,

The problem is that this story doesn't really say much of anything.
What reforms in math and science education did they try? Why did
they fail? For those not familiar with the Connecticut Academy,
like me, for instance, this story is baffling.

What exactly are they trying this time around? Yes, the story does
mention some details, but how do they plan to help students see
the importance of mathematics and science? Many attempts from
educators to help students see the importance of mathematics, for
example, are a bust because the only applications presented are
contrived and the math is taught in ways that nobody outside the
classroom uses. And students are often not taught to think about
mathematics in ways that help them understand the subject and how
to use it meaningfully. Without that, we can throw as many
applications in a course as we wish, and students won't learn
math any better than they do now.

And if the Connecticut Academy continues to use standard
commercial textbooks (at least the ones I'm familiar with), they
won't see any progress. Riddling textbooks with applications
but presenting math in disconnected bits and pieces and without
the underlying common sense logic and without explanations about
how we learn to translate real-world situations into
mathematical language will help very little, if at all.
I've seen my share of textbooks packed with applications that
are unreadable to the typical student and force the student
to memorize rather than to understand.

Jonathan Groves

On 9/5/2010 at 2:15 pm, Dom Rosa wrote:

> [...]
> The following article would indicate that all of
> these have been abject failures. Now the "Academy" is
> launching another five-year plan for "changing a
> culture." What really needs to be changed is the
> culture of abject failure that the "Academy has been
> promoting for 20 years.
> ==============
>
> The Hartford Courant September 2, 2010 Page B2
>
> http://www.courant.com/news/education/hc-board-of-educ
> ation-math-0902-20100902,0,1384109.story
>
> Education Group Seeks To Raise Interest In Math And
> Science
> By GRACE E. MERRITT
>
> September 2, 2010
>
> HARTFORD -- Consider this fact: 84 percent of middle
> school students say they would rather clean their
> rooms, eat their vegetables, go to the dentist or
> take out the garbage than learn math or science,
> according to the National Science Foundation.
>
> Alarmed by that statistic and reams of other
> research, a nonprofit Connecticut education group
> said Wednesday that it will launch an unusual
> grassroots initiative to change cultural views toward
> math and science and get students to take personal
> responsibility for their own learning.
>
> "We have to stop adults in this country from saying,
> 'You know what, I'm not good at math,' and people
> smiling. That's a culture and we have to change that
> culture," said Richard C. Cole, president and CEO of
> the Connecticut Academy for Education in Mathematics,
> Science & Technology. He presented the idea Wednesday
> to the State Board of Education.
>
> The five-year initative will be run by the academy
> and guided by a steering committee of leaders from 15
> community organizations. It will run in conjunction
> with new state school reforms emphasizing math and
> science and won't cost the state a dime. The
> initiative will be privately funded, initially by the
> GE Foundation, Northeast Utilities and Hamilton
> Sundstrand.
>
> The idea is to get students to understand why math
> and science are important to their lives and
> recognize that it will take personal effort,
> diligence and work to learn it, Cole said.
>
> "Nobody is doing this as a state -- not the issue of
> changing a culture," Cole said.
>
> The effort will complement the state's new emphasis
> on science, technology, engineering and math as well
> as new requirements for high school students to take
> four years of math and three years of science,
> starting with the freshman class of 2014.
>
> The initiative, called CONNverge, will be launched
> Oct. 21.
>
> The state Department of Education is enthusiastic
> about the concept.
>
> "We think that's great because that's part of our
> secondary school reform -- to have more emphasis on
> math and science," said state Department of Education
> spokesman Tom Murphy. "We are hearing this loud and
> clear from the Connecticut Business and Industry
> Association and that's one of many ways to achieve

Date Subject Author
9/5/10
Read CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Domenico Rosa
9/6/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Alain Schremmer
9/8/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Jonathan Groves
9/9/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Domenico Rosa
9/9/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
kathleen Offenholley
9/9/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Alain Schremmer
9/9/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Jonathan Groves
9/9/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Alain Schremmer
9/10/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Jonathan Groves
9/10/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Alain Schremmer
9/11/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Jonathan Groves
9/9/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Jonathan Groves
9/10/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Domenico Rosa
9/10/10
Read RE: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Blustein, Bonnie
9/11/10
Read Re: RE: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Jonathan Groves
9/11/10
Read Re: RE: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Domenico Rosa
9/11/10
Read Re: RE: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Domenico Rosa
9/13/10
Read Re: RE: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
9/13/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Alain Schremmer
9/14/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Jonathan Groves
9/14/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Alain Schremmer
9/16/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Jonathan Groves
9/13/10
Read Re: RE: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Domenico Rosa
9/14/10
Read Direct Instruction (Was "CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan")
Jonathan Groves
9/14/10
Read Re: Direct Instruction (Was "CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan")
Domenico Rosa
9/14/10
Read Re: Direct Instruction (Was "CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan")
Alain Schremmer
9/14/10
Read Re: Direct Instruction (Was "CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan")
Jonathan Groves
9/14/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Alain Schremmer
9/14/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Domenico Rosa
9/14/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Alain Schremmer
9/15/10
[...]
Clyde Greeno
9/11/10