Topic: How defend nonrandom samples?
Replies: 1   Last Post: Sep 22, 1996 1:45 AM

Joe H Ward

Re: How defend nonrandom samples?

YES, Warren --

I'll join you on the soap box. I'm with you on the importance of dealing
with LURKING VARIABLES (as Moore & McCabe (2nd Edition)indicate). In
observational studies, the capability of dealing with LURKING VARIABLES is
a "selling point" for many students when they realize that it may be
feasible to CONTROL FOR THE UNCONTROLLABLE! So one of my favorite
expressions is: IF YOUR CAN'T CONTROL IT, MEASURE IT.

Of course you can't measure all of the LURKING VARIABLES. But when
students realize that they might MATHEMATICALLY CONTROL for RAINFALL if
they can measure it, then they might just become aware of the possibility
that further study of statistics is useful and interesting.

IMHO, it is essential that students are made to really believe that they
can do something useful AFTER COMPLETING THEIR FIRST STATISTICS COURSE
THAT THEY COULD NOT DO BEFORE! A possible reason that many one-course
students say "Uuugggg" when Statistics is mentioned, is that they can't do
much useful research after they have taken one course.

-- Joe

* Joe Ward 167 East Arrowhead Dr. *
* Health Careers High School San Antonio, TX 78228-2402 *
* Phone: 210-433-6575 *
* joeward@tenet.edu *