Topic: Edst
Replies: 1   Last Post: Sep 22, 1996 5:56 PM

Joe H Ward

Re: Edst

Hi Peter --

I am glad to know that you are interested in AP-Statistics and Edstat-l.

You may already be in contact with statistician Roger Kirk at Baylor.
Perhaps you know Bill Lamkin in Ed. Psy. at Baylor.

I am trying to collect an email list of Texas folks who are
interested in AP-Statistics. I would like to know of anyone in Texas who
would like to receive information related to AP-Statistics.

I am the moderator for a TENET.EDU newsgroup related to AP-Statistics.
We use that newsgroup for items of particular interest to TENET.EDU
educators.

To subscribe to edstat-l:

Send to "listverv@jse.stat.ncsu.edu" the following message"

subscribe edstat-l pjb@mcc.cc.tx.us

I am enclosing:

1. More details about edstat-l at North Carolina State U. There are other
messages about the Journal of Statistical Education, which is an electronic
refereed publication.

2. The last message I posted on the TENET.EDU newsgroup -
"educator.tenet.AP-statistics".

3. A copy of a paper related to AP-Statistics that was printed in a
recent issue of LINK, a publication of the American Statistical Association.

I am sending this to the list since some subscribers may be interested
in what we are doing in San Antonio. It may be "more than you (or anyone
else) want to know".

-- Joe

Date: Mon, 15 Mar 93 00:53:35 EST
From: listserv@jse.stat.ncsu.ed\u
To: joeward@tenet.edu
Subject: SUBSCRIBE EDSTAT-L JOE WARD

You have been added to list edstat-l@jse.stat.ncsu.edu.
Requests to listserv@jse.stat.ncsu.edu.

The discussion forum for Statistics Education is available by e-mail
subscription or as a UseNet News newsgroup (bit.listserv.edstat-l).

This message is sent out on a monthly basis and provides an overview
of some of the more important guidelines arrived at by the members of
the list:

The following guidelines have been agreed upon by the membership of this
list, and it is hoped that you will respect them:

1) Postings should be directed to more than one person; messages which are
clearly of value to only one (or just a few) members should be sent
privately.

2) No individual should post more than twice per topic in a 24-hour period.

3) Postings should contain the real name of the sender, either in the
header or the body of the message.

4) Personal attacks and insults are prohibited.

email message containing the listserver command to the address:
listserv@jse.stat.ncsu.edu

Examples of useful listserver commands:
(1) Set the acknowledgement option: you will be sent a copy
of messages you send to the list:
set edstat-l mail ack

(2) Set the option which undoes the previous option, i.e., insures
that you do _not_ get a copy of your own messages:
set edstat-l mail noack

(3) Set an option to turn off mail from the list, used for example
when going on vacation:
set edstat-l mail postpone
Note: To undo this option (re-enabling mail from the list) send
one or the other of the previous two commands (ack or noack).
This will undo the effects of the postpone setting.

(4) To unsubscribe from the list:
unsubscribe edstat-l

(5) To get more information about the listserver software:
help

To send questions about the list itself, comments, suggestions or
criticisms send your email message to me, Tim Arnold at the address
arnold@stat.ncsu.edu
--Tim Arnold
Internet: arnold@stat.ncsu.edu North Carolina State University
Phone : 919 515 2584 Dept. of Statistics, Raleigh NC 27695
2. Announcement about Statistics Meeting next Wednesday, Sept. 25.

Announcing a Meeting
of the
San Antonio Chapter of the American Statistical Association (ASA)
in association with the
Alamo District Council of Teachers of Mathematics (ADCTM)
and the
Alamo Regional Academy of Science and Engineering (ARASE)

Subject: Cruisin' The Road to AP-Statistics-
Focusing on the Use of Calculators and Computers
in the Advanced Placement Statistics Course

When: Wednesday, September 25, 1996
7:00 pm Refreshments and Socializing
7:30 pm - 8:30 pm Program

Where: Health Careers High School Library
4646 Hamilton-Wolfe
(Hamilton-Wolfe intersects Fredericksburg
about 100 yards North of Wurzbach)

Presenters: Laura Niland and Joe Ward

For Whom: Teachers, counselors, school administrators, students,
statisticians, parents and other interested persons are
encouraged to attend.

There will be Door Prizes of Statistics-Related Materials

Advanced Placement (AP) Statistics Courses are now underway in San Antonio and
throughout the U.S. The first AP Statistics Examination will be administered
by the College Board on May 6, 1997. This first year provides a great
opportunity to accelerate interest in statistics and quantitative literacy in
our schools.

This meeting will provide an opportunity for attendees to not only become more
aware of Calculator and Computers aspects of the AP-Statistics Course and Exam,
but to establish linkages among teachers, students and practicing statisticians
who have volunteered to assist high school students with the planning and data
analysis for research projects. San Antonio Statisticians are available to
assist students with science fair projects and to work with AP-Statistics
teachers. The Texas Education Agency (TEA) has recognized this increased
interest in Statistics by changing the approved Statistics course from one
semester to a full year.

Laura Niland is the 1988 Presidential Awardee in Secondary Mathematics for
Texas and she teaches AP-Statistics at MacArthur High school. Laura and Joe
Ward have conducted workshops in Data Analysis for High School Teachers and
Students for several years. These workshops have been supported by the San
Antonio Chapter of ASA and other professional organizations.

For more details about the meeting, contact:

Dr. Joe Ward
210-433-6575
email: joeward@tenet.edu

===================================
3. Article from LINK published by American Statistical Association

The Road to Advanced Placement
in
Statistics

by Norma Ketchum,
Chapter Representative

Nandini Kannan,
Secretary

Joe Ward,
President
San Antonio Chapter

Introduction

The Advanced Placement (AP) Examination in Statistics will be administered
by The College Board for the first time on May 6, 1997. "The Road to Advanced
Placement in Statistics" describes briefly the essential elements of the AP
Statistics Program, the San Antonio Chapter's involvement in this Program and
other related activities which helped lead us down this path. We end with a few
thoughts for consideration by Chapter members who think they might be
interested in "promoting" the AP Statistics Program in their local high schools.

The AP Statistics Program

The AP Program is a cooperative venture among high schools, colleges and
the College Board. It consists of 30 college-level courses and examinations in
17 academic disciplines for secondary school students. The examination is
recognized in nearly 2,900 U.S. and foreign colleges and universities, which
grant credit, appropriate placement, or both to students who perform
satisfactorily on AP Examinations.

The newly developed AP Statistics Program offers a course description
and examination in statistics to students who wish to complete studies in
secondary school equivalent to a one-semester, introductory, non-calculus
based, college course in statistics. The course description and examination
have been prepared by high school and college statistics educators who serve
as members of the Advanced Placement Statistics Development Committee. Copies
of the preliminary edition of the AP Statistics Course Description may be
obtained from Jim Armstrong (ETS) <jarmstrong@ets.org> or your nearest College
Board Regional Office.

As stated in the preliminary AP Statistics Course Description the purpose
of the AP Statistics Program is to introduce high school students to the major
concepts and tools for collecting, analyzing, and drawing conclusions from
data. The four major themes are:

(1) exploring data: observing patterns and departures from patterns ,
(2) planning a study: deciding what and how to measure,
(3) anticipating patterns in advance: producing models using probability and
simulation,
(4) statistical inference: confirming models.

The course description addresses the use of technology in AP Statistics
by stating that "The fundamental tool of data analysis is the computer...It is
the essential tool that makes structured inquiry possible". The development
committee indicates that even though graphing calculators will be required,
they should not be considered as a replacement for the computer in the teaching
of statistics. Furthermore, students will be expected to be familiar with
generic computer output to answer some questions on the exam. The AP Statistics
Course Description contains an insert with lists of suggested texts and
software.

San Antonio Chapter's Road to AP Statistics

Direct involvement of the San Antonio Chapter began in July, 1995 at the
AP Statistics Workshop at Trinity University. Both Joe Ward, past Chapter
Representative and Laura Niland, a statistics teacher from MacArthur High
School and the 1988 Texas Presidential Awardee in Secondary Mathematics,
participated in the workshop.

To promote the introduction of AP Statistics in San Antonio area high
schools, a joint meeting of our Chapter and the Alamo District Council of
Teachers of Mathematics convened at Trinity University in September, 1995.
Laura Niland presented an overview of topics in the preliminary edition of
the AP Statistics Course Description. The gathering was attended by high school
students, parents, high school math teachers, and statisticians from the area.
Books, calculators and statistical software were contributed by various
vendors as door prizes. Laura has held follow-up meetings with prospective
AP Statistics teachers in the area.

The San Antonio Chapter's interaction with local schools began years ago
and has continued to grow due to the efforts of many dedicated members.
Richard Cooper of Trinity University has taught statistics and probability to
high school students in their third year of the Texas Prefreshman Engineering
Program (TexPREP). TexPrep is a summer intervention program for talented under
represented minority students coordinated by Manuel Berriozabal of the
University of Texas at San Antonio. Every summer since 1993 the Chapter has
sponsored a Student-Teacher Cooperative Program which focuses on application
of statistics and computers for improving the research projects of
students and their mentor teachers. Joe Ward and Laura Niland conduct this
summer program that strives to bring statisticians, students and teachers
together. These interactions enhance student projects, many times leading to
recognition at science fair competitions.

Our Chapter's involvement with secondary students accelerated when, in
1989, Joe Ward was appointed by the president of the National Council of
Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) to serve on the ASA/NCTM Joint Committee on
the Curriculum in Statistics and Probability. After sponsoring a statistics
and computer workshop for students and teachers, the Chapter officially
"adopted" the Health Careers High School, which is a magnet school emphasizing
courses related to health professions.

The San Antonio Chapter annually awards savings bonds and statistical
software to high school students who show outstanding applications of
statistics in their science fair projects. A list of volunteer statisticians
from our Chapter is distributed each fall to all science teachers in the area
by the Alamo Regional Academy of Science and Engineering (ARASE) to improve
awareness and encourage interaction between schools and statisticians. Joe Ward
was appointed a member of the Board of ARASE for the purpose of facilitating
the data analysis capabilities of science fair participants.

Informal Observations About the Introduction of the AP Statistics Program

The chapter has found through the years that attitudes toward the use of
statistics in the high schools can be less than encouraging. High school
teachers have a history of accepting the role of calculus in the high school
mathematics curriculum. Since calculus courses are "in" with most high
schools, the statistics courses may be thought to be competing with calculus.
This might lead to barriers in efforts toward implementing a statistics course.
Many high school teachers have a negative feeling about statistics courses
that they have taken, and as a result it is difficult to identify teachers
who are positive candidates to teach the statistics course.

ASA Chapter members might consider interacting with and assisting high
school teachers in their area who are reluctant to undertake teaching a
statistics course. To minimize the strain of starting a new course, it seems
wise to encourage teachers to use a text book which THEY like as long as the
text is consistent with the AP Statistics Course Description. Similarly,
teachers should use a familiar graphing calculator and statistical software
package that provides for the objectives of AP Statistics. Teachers should
select a comfortable software package from the many suggested in the AP
Statistics Course Description. Those teachers who are most comfortable using
MAPLE, DERIVE and others, should be sure that their chosen software can satisfy
the AP Statistics objectives.

The proposed AP Statistics Program certainly is a more up-to-date
improvement over previous statistics courses to which high school teachers
have been subjected. This factor should increase positive attitudes about
statistics among high school teachers. However, much of the content is still
oriented toward the pre-computer approaches to analysis with which many
college faculty have had experience and feel comfortable. Such a compromise
is understandable for the introduction and acceptance of any new program that
has several hurdles to overcome. We encourage Chapter members who are
practicing statisticians to volunteer time with high school teachers and
their students to provide them with capabilities beyond the present AP
Statistics objectives.