Replies: 1   Last Post: Jan 12, 1997 10:20 AM

Chris Olsen

[No Subject]

Hello Paul and All (again) --

On Sat, 11 Jan 1997, Paul Velleman wrote:

> I disagree with Chris, although his answer is one that many statisticians
> would give.

> So, I would summarize a symmetric distibution with 2 outliers as symmetric
> with 2 outliers -- even if I didn't know a reason for the outliers'
> deviation from the rest of the data.
> For teaching, I think students should know that not all statisticians and
> data analysts would agree on this.

And, teachers should know that some statisticians and data analysis
speak with authority and others (moo-wah comes immediately to mind)
speak with implied question marks at the end of every sentence! :) :)

-- Chris