Topic: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Replies: 40   Last Post: Sep 25, 2010 8:37 PM

Jonathan Groves

From: Kaplan University, Argosy University, Florida Institute of Technology
Registered: 8/18/05
Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan

On 9/17/2010 at 12:00 pm, Bill Marsh wrote:

> Jonathan,
>
> I found your book description very interesting. I
> have ideas and some scribbling on some parts of what
> you want to cover. Would you have any interest in
> working together, maybe on a paper or article, or
> maybe even on the or a book?
>
> Bill
> billmarshpawa@gmail.com

Bill,

That sounds interesting. I can't say "yes" for sure at this point,
but I'm definitely considering it.

I'm still debating as to what my arithmetic book ought to cover and
what is still okay to include ("okay" in the sense that the stuff
is not essential for an arithmetic course but may do some good
to include it in the book for those students who might be interested
or might need it).

Alain Schremmer notices that one problem with the book's organization
is that it makes him wonder what the "story behind the mathematics"
is, that is what the point of the development of this math is, where
it leads, what it allows us to do. He has noted that I still appear
trapped in the usual mode of presenting math as a series of disconnected
topics rather than as a unified whole but that he can also tell that
I'm trying to escape that mindset. That is, I believe he is thinking that,
if I continue the book with this organization, I may make much further
progress in escaping this mindset than most do but that I still won't
escape that entirely.

I wonder where he gets that idea when he hasn't seen the text of the book.
But maybe he can see something in that organization that tells him this
fact whereas I don't see it.

Here are two of his responses:

http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=7208094&tstart=0

and

http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=7208113&tstart=0

Others can be found in that same discussion thread on Mathedcc.
Actually, this post you are referring to was one that I had intended
only for Mathedcc but then got accidentally copied here to Math-Teach.
But since the question is of mutual interest to these lists, I suspect
that perhaps it would have been a good idea for me to post this
message here anyway! So let it stay here as well, I say.

One of those messages in this thread (it is not one of the two I had
cited above), written by Alain Schremmer, makes a good point that
perhaps we beat fractions to death. As he said, "Are fractions really
necessary--other than code for division? If so, for what? (Aside from
appeasing ignorant administrations.)" However, I don't think it
hurts to include the development of fractions in my book that I had
planned to develop anyway. Though fraction arithmetic might not
have the needs today that it had in the past, fractions are still
of mathematical interest. The same can be said of logarithms:
Though they are not used as computational aids anymore, logarithms
are still of mathematical interest.

Jonathan Groves

Date Subject Author
9/16/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Jonathan Groves
9/16/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Dave L. Renfro
9/17/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
GS Chandy
9/17/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Jonathan Groves
9/17/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Pam
9/17/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Bill Marsh
9/17/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Pam
9/17/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Joe Niederberger
9/17/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Bishop, Wayne
9/17/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Joe Niederberger
9/18/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Bishop, Wayne
9/18/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Joe Niederberger
9/17/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Pam
9/17/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Louis Talman
9/17/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Bishop, Wayne
9/17/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Pam
9/17/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Jonathan Groves
9/17/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Jonathan Groves
9/17/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Richard Strausz
9/17/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Joe Niederberger
9/17/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Robert Hansen
9/18/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Jonathan Groves
9/18/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Bishop, Wayne
9/18/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Pam
9/18/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Joe Niederberger
9/18/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Bill Marsh
9/19/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Jonathan Groves
9/20/10
Read Theory of arithmetic
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
9/20/10
Read Re: Theory of arithmetic
Jonathan Groves
9/21/10
Read Re: Theory of arithmetic
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
9/21/10
Read Re: Theory of arithmetic
Robert Hansen
9/21/10
Read Re: Theory of arithmetic
Dave L. Renfro
9/19/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Jonathan Groves
9/19/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Robert Hansen
9/20/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Jonathan Groves
9/20/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Robert Hansen
9/25/10
Read Re: CT Academy Launches Another Five-Year Plan
Haim
9/25/10