Topic: Sampling From Finite Population with Replacement
Replies: 28   Last Post: Sep 30, 2010 6:30 AM

cagdas.ozgenc@gmail.com

Re: Sampling From Finite Population with Replacement

On 29 Eylül, 23:57, Ray Koopman <koop...@sfu.ca> wrote:

> >> It all depends on whether we're talking about the conditional
> >> distribution of the sample mean, given the population mean; or the
> >> unconditional (or marginal) distribution of the sample mean. As an
> >> estimate of the generator mean, the ssmple mean is conditionally
> >> biased but marginally unbiased.

> > I don't think I am following you. How is all that related to
> > conditioning?

> In the marginal distribution all the error is random, and the sample
> mean is is an unbiased estimate of the generator mean. In the
> conditional distribution there is both random and systematic error;
> the sample mean is a biased estimate of the generator mean, with the
> bias being the unknown but fixed difference between the population
> mean and the generator mean.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. Basically I am trying to relate your
conclusion to my initial question. What does this in general tell us
about sampling from an infinite population vs sampling from a finite
population with replacement? Can I conclude that they cannot be
treated equally? Why is this issue never mentioned in stat texts?

Date Subject Author
9/24/10
Read Sampling From Finite Population with Replacement
cagdas.ozgenc@gmail.com
9/25/10
Read Re: Sampling From Finite Population with Replacement
Greg Heath
9/25/10
Read Re: Sampling From Finite Population with Replacement
Luis A. Afonso
9/25/10
Read Re: Sampling From Finite Population with Replacement
Richard Ulrich
9/25/10
Read Re: Sampling From Finite Population with Replacement
Ray Koopman
9/25/10
Read Re: Sampling From Finite Population with Replacement
Ray Koopman
9/28/10
Read Re: Sampling From Finite Population with Replacement
cagdas.ozgenc@gmail.com
9/28/10
Read Re: Sampling From Finite Population with Replacement
Bruce Weaver
9/28/10
Read Re: Sampling From Finite Population with Replacement
cagdas.ozgenc@gmail.com
9/28/10
Read Re: Sampling From Finite Population with Replacement
Bruce Weaver
9/28/10
Read Re: Sampling From Finite Population with Replacement
cagdas.ozgenc@gmail.com
9/28/10
Read Re: Sampling From Finite Population with Replacement
Ray Koopman
9/28/10
Read Re: Sampling From Finite Population with Replacement
cagdas.ozgenc@gmail.com
9/29/10
Read Re: Sampling From Finite Population with Replacement
Ray Koopman
9/29/10
Read Re: Sampling From Finite Population with Replacement
cagdas.ozgenc@gmail.com
9/29/10
Read Re: Sampling From Finite Population with Replacement
Ray Koopman
9/29/10
Read Re: Sampling From Finite Population with Replacement
cagdas.ozgenc@gmail.com
9/29/10
Read Re: Sampling From Finite Population with Replacement
Ray Koopman
9/30/10
Read Re: Sampling From Finite Population with Replacement
cagdas.ozgenc@gmail.com
9/28/10
Read Re: Sampling From Finite Population with Replacement
Richard Ulrich
9/29/10
Read Re: Sampling From Finite Population with Replacement
cagdas.ozgenc@gmail.com
9/29/10
Read Re: Sampling From Finite Population with Replacement
Richard Ulrich
9/29/10
Read Re: Sampling From Finite Population with Replacement
cagdas.ozgenc@gmail.com
9/26/10
Read Re: Sampling From Finite Population with Replacement
Bruce Weaver
9/27/10