Topic: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Replies: 39   Last Post: Oct 16, 2010 10:33 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors

Wayne Bishop posted Sep 29, 2010 8:54 AM (GSC's responses interspersed):
> At 07:05 AM 9/28/2010, GS Chandy wrote:
> >Further my initial posting (dt. Sep 28, 2010 11:22
> AM) on the
> >subject, I already know, I believe, what some of us
> are going to say
> >after glancing through a fair bit of the ongoing
> discussions at the
> >New York Times:
> >
> >1) "It's all the fault of the Educational

> Mafia...PUT THEM IN JAIL!"
> >2) "BLOW UP THE TEACHER TRAINING COLLEGES!"
> >(or the equivalent, probably in more sophisticated

> words).
>
> Not necessarily more sophisticated words but by
> someone with a bit
> more influence. Reid Lyon is a well-known researcher
> in reading
> education and was second (I believe) in command of
> the US Department
> of Education at the time:
> Rigorous Evidence:
> The Key to Progress in Education?
> Lessons from Medicine, Welfare and Other Fields
>
> November 18, 2002, P, 84 of the forum transcript:
>
> "You know, if there was any piece of legislation that
> I could
> pass, it would be to blow up colleges of education."

Your model Mr Reid Lyon is someone who was appointed to his influential position by GW Bush? (Who is, as we know, the man who succeeded in blowing up most of Iraq and Afghanistan for no benefit whatsoever to the USA or the world!)

Instead of such monstrously destructive models, why not try a constructive model:

Gathering and EFFECTIVELY acting on the wisdom that is available, I'm certain, from many sources in your nation, as my posting had suggested?

Do you find the 'blowing up' of things to be more appealing to you than the careful construction of things; better than the remediation of the things that are wrong in society? I believe this is not an uncommon syndrome.

GSC

Date Subject Author
9/28/10
Read Why More Students Rely on Tutors
GS Chandy
9/28/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
GS Chandy
9/28/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Bishop, Wayne
9/29/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Haim
9/29/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
GS Chandy
10/2/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Bishop, Wayne
9/29/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
GS Chandy
10/2/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Bishop, Wayne
9/30/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Richard Strausz
9/30/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Haim
10/2/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Bishop, Wayne
9/30/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Haim
9/30/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
GS Chandy
10/1/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Haim
10/1/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Robert Hansen
10/5/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
GS Chandy
10/1/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Haim
10/1/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Jonathan Groves
10/3/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
GS Chandy
10/4/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Haim
10/5/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Jonathan Groves
10/4/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Haim
10/5/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
GS Chandy
10/5/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Joel
10/5/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Joe Niederberger
10/5/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Mark Ge
10/5/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Greg Goodknight
10/5/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Kelly Stacy
10/5/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Dave L. Renfro
10/5/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Dave L. Renfro
10/5/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Robert Hansen
10/7/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Haim
10/9/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
GS Chandy
10/7/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Dave L. Renfro
10/7/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Robert Hansen
10/7/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Dave L. Renfro
10/8/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Jonathan Groves
10/10/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Haim
10/11/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Shimon Zimbovsky
10/16/10