Topic: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Replies: 39   Last Post: Oct 16, 2010 10:33 PM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors

In 78 I was in high school and tutored community college students in physics. It was really good pay for a high school student at the time. $15 an hour if I remember correctly. But I knew of no one in high school being tutored.

Dave wrote...

> My experience is even more extreme. I never knew
> about
> high school students ever paying for tutoring when I
> was
> in high school. Of course, when I got to college (and
> for
> several years before I got to college, either while
> with
> my mother in the early 1970s when she
> semi-periodically
> visited some of her college professors ([1] being
> one
> example, and whose personalized memo stationary with
> math
> calculations on it from around 1971-72 I still have)
> or
> when I was taking some college classes while in high
> school), tutoring signs were always all over the
> bulletin
> boards, and so I knew people paid for tutoring in
> college.
> But I didn't realize that high school students ever
> paid
> for help, not until the early 1980s when I was
> tutoring
> students for money in a large city (as opposed to a
> small
> college town, where the number of high school
> students
> was sufficiently small that you were generally never
> aware of their existence). The method of contact for
> me,
> back then, was that parents called the local
> university
> math department for tutor suggestions and I was one
> of
> those whose names were given out.
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonnie_Ethel_Cone
>
> I'm pretty sure no one in my high school paid for
> tutoring in math, since the school was rather small
> (everyone knew everyone else) and there were only
> a handful of mathy kids, all of whom I knew pretty
> well -- well enough that I would have known if they
> were making money by helping out in math, especially
> since I had very little money in high school and
> would
> have jumped at this had I even gotten a whif there
> was
> a chance someone would pay me to help them with
> math.
> It's not that no one needed help in math, it's just
> that they'd go ask someone (me or one of the math
> guys)
> during lunch or homeroom or something. Actually,
> virtually
> everyone who had trouble in math didn't consider it
> worth
> their time to bother having someone help them
> outside
> of class, or at least this is how I seem to recall
> it,
> since things seemed to be fairly low-key as far as
> grades and such were at my high school once you got
> below the top 6 to 8 students in my graduating class
> [...]

Date Subject Author
9/28/10
Read Why More Students Rely on Tutors
GS Chandy
9/28/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
GS Chandy
9/28/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Bishop, Wayne
9/29/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Haim
9/29/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
GS Chandy
10/2/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Bishop, Wayne
9/29/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
GS Chandy
10/2/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Bishop, Wayne
9/30/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Richard Strausz
9/30/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Haim
10/2/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Bishop, Wayne
9/30/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Haim
9/30/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
GS Chandy
10/1/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Haim
10/1/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Robert Hansen
10/5/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
GS Chandy
10/1/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Haim
10/1/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Jonathan Groves
10/3/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
GS Chandy
10/4/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Haim
10/5/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Jonathan Groves
10/4/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Haim
10/5/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
GS Chandy
10/5/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Joel
10/5/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Joe Niederberger
10/5/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Mark Ge
10/5/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Greg Goodknight
10/5/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Kelly Stacy
10/5/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Dave L. Renfro
10/5/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Dave L. Renfro
10/5/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Robert Hansen
10/7/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Haim
10/9/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
GS Chandy
10/7/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Dave L. Renfro
10/7/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Robert Hansen
10/7/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Dave L. Renfro
10/8/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Jonathan Groves
10/10/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Haim
10/11/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Shimon Zimbovsky
10/16/10