Topic: Mathematician
Replies: 28   Last Post: Oct 15, 2010 8:47 AM

Jonathan Groves

From: Kaplan University, Argosy University, Florida Institute of Technology
Registered: 8/18/05
Re: Mathematician

Wayne,

I was wondering why you had titled a thread "Mathematician" about an article
about the term "STEM education," but I see what you mean: your objection
to Elizabeth Stage being referred to as a "mathematician by training."
Her doctorate is in science education, but the real issue is that her
work is exclusively in math and science education rather in mathematics
itself. If she did do work in mathematics research, then I wouldn't
care what degrees she has because that would make her a mathematician
in that case.

A description of her that I had found that mentions her degrees and her
work:

http://www7.nationalacademies.org/bose/Stage%20Biosketch.html.

This description certainly does not suggest that she does any work as
a mathematician, just as a math and science educator. I take it that
the graduate courses she taught were in science and math education.

Jonathan Groves