Topic: Mathematician
Replies: 28   Last Post: Oct 15, 2010 8:47 AM

Michael Dougherty

From: Weatherford, OK
Registered: 5/18/10
Re: Mathematician

> If only Wayne Bishop would occasionally take his own
> advice to others and would search through Google, he
> would easily find a biographical sketch about
> Elisabeth Stage and what she may have taught at the
> graduate level:
>
> http://www7.nationalacademies.org/bose/Stage%20Biosket
> ch.html

Oh, I think Wayne has a good gripe here.

> > (Dr Stage), a mathematician by training, thinks:

The biography says nothing about being a "mathematician" at all.

"Dr. Stage holds an Ed.D. in Science Education and an M.Ed., both from Harvard University, and an A.B. in Chemistry from Smith College."

We do have to jealously protect the title "mathematician." Judging just from that biography, she was someone interested in Chemistry/Education who found herself in a position where she "directed the Mathematics Professional Development Institutes under the Office of the President of the University of California." As someone who was told how to teach math by an Ed.D. in charge of Academic Affairs at a previous job, I can tell you I've seen how such folks can manipulate into such positions where they do not have the credentials to be much more than grant writing assistants, yet this lady is called a "mathematician by training"? What am I missing?

- --Mike D.

Message was edited by: Michael Dougherty