Topic: Mathematician
Replies: 28   Last Post: Oct 15, 2010 8:47 AM

kirby urner

Re: Mathematician

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 7:27 PM, Wayne Bishop
<wbishop@exchange.calstatela.edu> wrote:
> Some folks appear to not be relating the title thread to the article and my
> objection. Certainly I have my problems with what passes for STEM
> preparedness as well as the acronym but my real objection was yet another
> article in which "mathematician" is used in place of "mathematics education
> professor" or some other inappropriate "equivalent".
>
> Wayne

Ah yes, an anthropological question: who gets to be called, or even
wants to be called, an X in a given ecology / community, where X
may be "mathematician" "doctor" "shaman" "chief" "engineer" or
whatever title. What track records matche what types of cred
(credibility)?

Looking at Starship Enterprise (Star Trek), it's pretty clear that
Mr. Spock is good at math (logic especially), but his title is not
"mathematician". He's a "first officer" right? He supports Kirk,
the "captain".

Against the backdrop of some of the storyboards around here,
you've got kids jumping on electric ATVs and heading out with
their GPS devices to work in various fields, including bee keeping
and smoothing a nearby runway (40 miles distant). We're in
New Mexico someplace, international cast. Solar dish's from
Infinia. http://www.infiniacorp.com/powerdish.html

Our school engineers work with the dishes a lot, repairing the
Stirling engines. But they also work with SQL engines
(engines of a different kind, such as Oracle's MySQL etc.).

The ATVs (electric) also need maintenance, and given these
feature in many a template, students are eager to master
the many makes and models. Given the Quaker nature of
our sponsors, there's not much gun play (a little), but there's
lots of physics in ballistics. It's not all just "pre-med"
(although that's the trend, as "health professional" has
replaced "lawyer" pretty much across the board as the
thing to be -- that's where all the romance is, these days).

Where is the "mathematician" in this school? Perhaps she
comes through as an intern-trainee, with a PhD from PSU,
Vietnam Campus (one of several satellites). There's a
sister campus developing in Borneo that'll use a different
assortment of power sources (mostly micro hydel), but
plans to implement some of the same programs in K-12
mathematics. Does Paul Allen's Vulcan Corporation might
have a stake?

Back to immediate reality, I was awhile back tapped as a
sidekick for Guido, our BDFL (dictator -- chairman a different
position) to join a small meeting regarding possible math ed
reforms in the RSA (Republic of South Africa). My to/from
airfare and hotel stay in the Kensington neighborhood was
contributed by the meeting convener. An entourage from
the RSA joined experts from around the world for three days
of meetings.

Why tap me of all people, given the vast army of PhDs (not
even counting those dophins)? I'm not a product of the UC
math ed system, nor SUNY 's and don't have the kind of
cred that'd let me teach grad school calc or group theory,
even though I've taught mathy stuff at the 12th grade level
at one of Wayne's St. Sensibles.

I was billing myself as Minister of Education for Python Nation
at the time (the Litvins text had yet to be published). We were
neighborly with Ubuntu (still are). Free software was making
waves, with Freedom Toasters in Cape Town, students flocking
to TuxLabs.

We had a similar phenomenon here in Oregon, with recent
immigrants interested in getting on the Internet and doing legal,
safe things that would not draw attention to themselves and
get them deported (you can just hear the parents kvetching,
saying nothing good will come of getting on-line -- with many
public schools subtly reinforcing that message (this was the
early days, and "piracy" and "hacking" was all people
seemed to care about -- getting ready for the "cyberwars"
of the 21st century).

I was working the George Heuston, formerly with the FBI,
NORAD and stuff, helping the Silicon Forest do an end run
around the public schools, to make cyberspace seem more
friendly and appealing that average Americans (paranoid and
ignorant) were prepared to allow. We used facilities in the
West Precinct (Hillsboro Police Department) for our mutli-
week pilot. What I'm good at are pilots, prototyping classes.
I led two more of these this summer, in an all-Windows math
lab at PSU, and an all-Mac math lab at Reed College. This
was the same kinda STEM stuff I'd been promoting in
Kensington at at the London Knowledge Lab (where I spoke
about my work in Hillsboro).

So I should be a target then, of these PhD insiders. Indeed,
Dr. Ian Benson of Stanford, who knows Fernando Flores,
some of the math faculty, might have reason to worry about
Python's trajectory, which seems to be tilting towards
GeometryFirst over AlgebraFirst (both buzz words for an
early primary school level agenda). However MIT's Scratch
and other technologies likely render this debate moot: no
one is using Python with children that young.

But the fact remains, here I am contributing science fiction
to the New Mexicans, hoping to recruit returning vets to
staff our numeracy tracks (GIS/GPS intensive) -- not always
tapping the math teacher rank and file -- and I appear to be
getting away with it. Isn't that wrong? Many would say it
is, because I'm not credentialed the way they think I oughta
be. Is Bill Gates? Is what you really need a lot of money?
Can one buy credentials based on net worth? In our current
economic system, I'd have to say "yes, that's one way to go".

Anyway, I enjoy being in meetings with university profs, am
in one right now (Lewis & Clark College guy, with a specialty
in Indonesia, is leading our session -- very socio-politically
aware, lots of experience in Washington DC).

Gotta go. Lunch with Uncle Bill.

Kirby