Topic: Mathematician
Replies: 28   Last Post: Oct 15, 2010 8:47 AM

Bishop, Wayne

Re: Mathematician

I should have pointed out in my response to Michael that Dr. Stage
has done more to destroy solid science education in California than
any other single person and her efforts toward mathematics education
are entirely consistent with that achievement. In no small part
because of her "inquiry-based" science instruction instead of honest
science instruction managed to keep his foot in the door in the late
90s and early 2000's as part of official state mandate in spite of
its demonstrated failure and complete removal (officially, that is)
of that crap from mathematics. As Haim just pointed out, this vain
effort to successfully educate ALL (caps original) students in
science (as in mathematics) only ensures that those students with
real aptitude and interest are denied the opportunity for an honest
exposure to the real stuff in their school experience. If they
succeed, and some do, is in spite of their approved school
experience. Behind the scenes by good teachers is one way), simple
personal dedication is another, but it is almost certain science and
mathematics education death to high potential students from low
socioeconomic communities with a low priority on upward mobility
through genuine education (i.e., more than just failing to drop out,
the standard industry goal).

Wayne