Topic: Social Promotion
Replies: 12   Last Post: Oct 18, 2010 1:23 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Social Promotion

Bishop, Wayne had posted Oct 8, 2010 6:51 AM:
> Here is some really startling evidence from Ed
> Week, "ensuring kids are prepared for college by
> the time they leave high school is the single
> most important thing we can do to improve college
> completion rates."
>
> I'm going to go way out on a limb and speculate
> that a good study would demonstrate that ensuring
> kids are prepared for high school by the time
> they leave middle school is the single most
> important thing we can do to improve high school
> completion rates." Unadulterated social promotion
> in conjunction with opposition to testable
> academic standards has been SOP for long time but
> maybe there's a better way?
>
> Wayne

Let me go even way further out on a limb to claim that most such issues will disappear into thin air when we actively inculcate what I call the "question-asking frame of mind" in an adequately wide segment of the population - including most teachers and students. This is 'a way' that *includes* all the desiderata that Dr Bishop apparently desires.

Attached herewith a couple of documents describing this useful faculty, along with some information about how it may be inculcated. Much more information is available on request, and also a useful software that enables the needed modelling to be done with relative ease.

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy