Topic: Mathematician
Replies: 28   Last Post: Oct 15, 2010 8:47 AM

Jonathan Groves

From: Kaplan University, Argosy University, Florida Institute of Technology
Registered: 8/18/05
Re: Mathematician

Mike and Wayne and others,

I did look up what Johnson and Rising's book "Guidelines for Teaching
Mathematics" (2nd edition) says about discovery learning, and the
book says more about discovery learning than what I remembered.
Here are some things the book does say about discovery learning.
I will not list everything, but here are some of the big ideas I find
that are worth mentioning.

1. Discovery learning is a difficult teaching method because it must
be continually adapted to students' questions and comments and what
progress they have made thus far. We cannot plan extensively for
discovery learning just as we cannot plan extensively in advance for
a discussion; we will not know how the discussion will go or where it
will lead until we actually do it.

2. As I had mentioned earlier, discovery learning is not appropriate
for all situations. One example they give here is trying to get
students to discover a definition.

3. The idea of discovery learning is that it helps students find their
own meaning in the mathematical concepts and their own connections of
that concept with their previous knowledge and experiences. Previous
experiences happen to be one reason why our thinking about a concept
makes perfect sense to ourselves and other students but makes no sense
to someone else; that baffled student might not have had those experiences
to make that explanation meaningful to him or her.

4. Some ideas for prompting students to think more deeply (examples taken
straight from this book):

"Give me another example."
"Do you believe that, Bill?"
"How do you know that?"
"Can anyone find a case for which John's rule does not work?"
"That seems to work. Will it always?"
"Have we forgotten any cases?"

5. The book points out some cautions to discovery learning (as quoted from
the book):

a. Be sure that the correct generalizations are the end result.
b. Do not expect everybody to discover every generalization.
c. Do not plan to discover all the ideas of your course. Discovery of
some ideas is too inefficient. Sometimes students do not need an intuitive,
emprical, discovery approach to understand an idea.
d. Expect discoveries to take time.
e. Do not expect the generalization to be verbalized as soon as it is
discovered.
f. Avoid overstructuring experiences.
g. Avoid jumping to conclusions on the basis of too few samples.
h. Do not be negative, critical, or unreceptive to unusual or off-beat
questions or suggestions. However, incorrect responses must not be
accepted as true; and disruptive, nonessential explorations must be
eliminated. Students should know that their status is not threatened
by incorrect answers.
i. Keep the student aware of the progress he is making.
j. If possible, have crucial ideas "discovered" repeatedly or by
different methods.
k. Finally, each student must recognize why his discoveries are significant
and how the ideas are incorporated in the structure involved.

6. The book gives some examples of ideas that students can try to
discover for themselves:

a. The difference between the prime numbers 5 and 2 is 3. Why do no
other prime numbers have this property? Here is a related one I have
thought of: 3, 5, 7 are three consecutive odd natural numbers that are
also prime numbers. Are there any other examples of three consecutive
odd natural numbers where all three are prime numbers? If not, then
why is this example the only one possible?

b. What do we know about sums and products of odd integers?

c. Why is 1.999....=2?

d. What is the maximum number of pieces of pie if a round pie is
divided by seven cuts?

e. How are the slope and y-intercept of a line related to the equation
of a line?

f. How is the perimeter of a right triangle related to its area?

g. What is the number of subsets of a finite set? (The book does not
say "finite" but should.)

h. How can the formulas for areas of geometric figures be related to the
area of a rectangle?

i. What equality properties apply to inequalities? For those that do
not, can you find conditions for which these equality properties apply
to inequalities?

Here is one I thought of:

j. Must we use the LCD to add or subtract fractions? Or will any
common denominator work? If any common denominator works, can you
see why? I like this one because I have seen many students who
believe that adding or subtracting fractions using a common denominator
besides the least common one is wrong simply because "that's not how
I was taught to do that."

A comment to Mike Dougherty: In some sense, asking students to discover
the reasoning and logic behind mathematics is discovery teaching.
Sometimes this term refers to getting students to discover ideas and
the underlying logic for themselves such as discovering and proving
a theorem, something similar to what a mathematician has to do when
developing a theory. Other times it can refer to having students fill
in the details of the reasoning after the teacher has presented the big
ideas and some outline of the reasoning with the details omitted so that
students can try to fill those in for themselves. In these cases, the
student is not asked to discover theorems but is asked instead to
discover the proofs of them. It is clear from the examples given above
from the book I had cited that this book uses the word "discovery
learning" or "discovery teaching" in both of these senses.

I don't know if we explain too much, but I often question if we, including
myself, explain too much too quickly before giving the students chances
to think about and see these ideas for themselves. That is, if we explain
too much up front, then we don't give students many chances to think for
themselves. We also give students the impression that it is okay to
take our word for it, especially permanently rather than just temporarily
for convenience, even if they haven't the foggiest idea of why that is true.
I don't see a problem with a student who wants to take our word for it for
the time being, especially if they need to use that result immediately,
if the student is willing to try later to see why that is true. Of course,
if the proof of the result is beyond the scope of the course, then that is
a completely different matter.

Jonathan Groves