Topic: Mathematician
Replies: 28   Last Post: Oct 15, 2010 8:47 AM

kirby urner

Re: Mathematician

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 11:36 AM, Jonathan Groves <JGroves@kaplan.edu> wrote:
> Mike and Wayne and others,
>
> I did look up what Johnson and Rising's book "Guidelines for Teaching
> Mathematics" (2nd edition) says about discovery learning, and the
> book says more about discovery learning than what I remembered.
> Here are some things the book does say about discovery learning.
> I will not list everything, but here are some of the big ideas I find
> that are worth mentioning.

Like here's what I might call "discovery learning"...

The teacher is projecting in front of the whole class, and enters the
sequence below. She doesn't necessarily talk a lot during the
demo, other than saying things like "lets see what this does",
"how about this?" i.e. noises associated with doing some inquiry.

Students have the ability to follow along and then branch off
doing their own experiments. A time allotment is provided, say
15 minutes, at the end of which students volunteer to come in
front of the room, take charge of the projector, and give up to
5 minutes elucidation of what they've learned and/or think is
going on, for the benefit of the rest of the class.

Here's the scroll (reading program), a real time demo in this
case (frozen here):

Python 3.1rc1 (r31rc1:73069, May 31 2009, 08:57:10) [MSC v.1500 32 bit
(Intel)] on win32

>>> int
<class 'int'>

>>> int('3')
3

>>> int('3', 2)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<pyshell#2>", line 1, in <module>
int('3', 2)
ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 2: '3'

>>> int(3, 2)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<pyshell#3>", line 1, in <module>
int(3, 2)
TypeError: int() can't convert non-string with explicit base

>>> int('3', '2')
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<pyshell#4>", line 1, in <module>
int('3', '2')
TypeError: an integer is required

>>> int('3', 10)
3
>>> int('3', 9)
3

>>> int('3', 2)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<pyshell#7>", line 1, in <module>
int('3', 2)
ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 2: '3'

>>> int('1000101010100', 2)
4436

New topic. The teacher enters the following in an editor window,
saves to site-packages and then runs:

def f(g):
def anon(x):
return g(x + 2)
return anon

@f
def m(x): return 2 * x

@f
def k(x): return x + 2

print ( k(10) )

print ( m(10) )

Here is the output:

>>> ================================ RESTART ================================

14
24

Students regularly give lightning talks in this classroom. These are
akin to "show and tell", which
is a valuable institution at all levels. The standard feature of a
lightning talk is it's no more than
five minutes (points off for going over), but there's no requirement
that it go for that long. Sometimes
a student will come to the front of the room and address the class for
a much shorter period.

Having students come to the front and take control of the projector is
a variation on a theme.
In a standard Math Lab (does your school have one?) any student has
the ability to switch
what's on her or his workstation to the screen up front. The teacher
may also have this
capability, along with mixing controls. A Math Lab session will
typically result in an output
recording drawing from several workstations and edited in post
production. Sound may be
added. The growing database of clips is on the school intranet.
Fractals alone might
account for quite a few gigabytes of storage, with student projects
aggregating. College
admissions officers may be granted PIN numbers to view student
records, with student
permission.

Anyway, the question is whether projecting content, not explaining
everything, encouraging
exploration, giving opportunities to elucidate, followed by some
teacher explication, is a
'discovery learning' workflow. To the best of my knowledge,
'discovery learning' is not
trademarked and so it could well be, without anyone taking serious objection.

You may have noticed that the int function (above) wants you to say
what base your
number object is in, at which point it returns a base 10 result.
int('3', 2) was asking
for something the int function can't do (it's not about "converting"
the decimal
number '3' into base 2 here) whereas something like int('FF', 16) or
int('10101', 2)
would be perfectly OK, no "snake barf" for feedback (where Python spits back
your "animal argument" i.e. raises an exception).

Remember "everything is a python in Python" meaning a creaturely object (has
behavior and internal state, a self / dictionary), potentially with
lotsa __ribs__
(special names) and therefore a spine -- like a snake does.

We use a lot of biological metaphors on purpose, given mega-trends in physics
teaching these days (math teachers are also welcome to use this free
technology, though we understand they're still mostly addicted to calculators).

The "decorator syntax" (@) is about taking a function definition and
sending it through a wringer of sorts, spitting out a new function of the
same name.** In this example, the input function is modified such
that its input argument will get bumped up by 2, before a function's
machinery is allowed to do its work.

Kirby

** I can't help but think of 'Invasion' the TV science fiction soap opera,
wherein people were eaten by creatures in the Florida swamp, then
returned, almost themselves (but only almost):
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460651/

- -- if these were beginners, I'd do more on the history of the decorator
feature, starting with the idea of properties in classes.