Topic: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Replies: 39   Last Post: Oct 16, 2010 10:33 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors

Haim posted Oct 10, 2010 3:15 PM:
> GS Chandy Posted: Oct 7, 2010 5:51 AM
> >
> >Suggestion: Create effective and usable categories
> >of 'math knowledge and interests'. Then provide

> texts
> >(and courses) that teach:
> >1) Math for 'mathy' students;
> >2) Math for 'non-mathy' students;
> >3) Math for students who may have been turned off

> math
> >by reason of incompetent
> teaching/books/systems-as-a-
> >whole at earlier levels.
> >(Not all the students at No.3 are included in the
> >category at No.2. A great many potentially 'mathy'
> >students often drop into the Category 3 because of
> >terrible systems that turn them off math.

> What part of BTDT do you not understand?

Oh, I do understand your claim of "BTDT" to be almost entirely invalid. The limitations of the validity of where you have been and what you have done have been explained in several earlier postings.

What part of building systems from basic commonsense do YOU not understand? It looks to me that it is actually commonsense that you do not care to understand.

> >I observe that not all of the terrible systems that
> >afflict us are the creations of what you refer to as
> >the 'Education Mafia'; some undoubtedly may be, but
> >definitely NOT all!)

> You observe no such thing. The American public
> lic school is entirely the creature of the Education
> Mafia, lock, stock, and barrel.

Kindly do provide some evidence for that claim:
a) Relating to the existence of that category of 'Education Mafia'; and
b) Relating to their part in creating the 'American' public school system.

It strikes me more and more that this 'Education Mafia' of yours may well be much like that other famous imaginary category created out of zero (or thin air) by that hero of yours, GW Bush, namely those Iraqi 'Weapons of Mass Destruction' (WMD) of yore that were never ever actually found despite his expenditure of many, MANY TTTTTTTTRILLION dollars in that futile misadventure.

> GS, it is hard enough arguing real facts without
> out also arguing imaginary facts. You may or may not
> have the counterpart to the Education Mafia in India
> (I have no idea), but if you are going to insist on
> debating American public education I am going to
> insist you stick to American facts.
>
> Haim
> We're buying shrimp, guys.

As you're clearly not in a position at this point of time to understand arguments based on common sense [as provided in the attachments to my posting dated Oct 8, 2010 7:31 PM in the thread "Social Promotion" at http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=7234262&tstart=0 ] may I strongly recommend that you should - as a long-term measure - start ingesting as fish-food for the brain some of the shrimp that you've quite assiduously purchased for several months now. No guarantees, but it may well help as clearly nothing else does.

GSC
("Why Am I Not Surprised?")

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Date Subject Author
9/28/10
Read Why More Students Rely on Tutors
GS Chandy
9/28/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
GS Chandy
9/28/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Bishop, Wayne
9/29/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Haim
9/29/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
GS Chandy
10/2/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Bishop, Wayne
9/29/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
GS Chandy
10/2/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Bishop, Wayne
9/30/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Richard Strausz
9/30/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Haim
10/2/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Bishop, Wayne
9/30/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Haim
9/30/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
GS Chandy
10/1/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Haim
10/1/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Robert Hansen
10/5/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
GS Chandy
10/1/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Haim
10/1/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Jonathan Groves
10/3/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
GS Chandy
10/4/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Haim
10/5/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Jonathan Groves
10/4/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Haim
10/5/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
GS Chandy
10/5/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Joel
10/5/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Joe Niederberger
10/5/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Mark Ge
10/5/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Greg Goodknight
10/5/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Kelly Stacy
10/5/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Dave L. Renfro
10/5/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Dave L. Renfro
10/5/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Robert Hansen
10/7/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Haim
10/9/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
GS Chandy
10/7/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Dave L. Renfro
10/7/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Robert Hansen
10/7/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Dave L. Renfro
10/8/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Jonathan Groves
10/10/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Haim
10/11/10
Read Re: Why More Students Rely on Tutors
Shimon Zimbovsky
10/16/10