Topic: Social Promotion
Replies: 12   Last Post: Oct 18, 2010 1:23 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Social Promotion

Shimon Zimbovsky posted Oct 12, 2010 6:34 AM:

> High schools should prepare their students foremost
> for college acceptance. We should begin with that.
> Gaining the necessary skills to succeed in college
> and eventually graduate is a function of both
> successful high school preparation and college
> performance. We shouldn't be so naive to assume that
> a student's college success can be attributed to his
> high school preparation.

I'd suggest that high schools should pursue various objectives, amongst which may be things like**
[** Objectives listed below appear in the order they came to mind - the numbers preceding each element on lists represent only that and nothing more - many of the objectives are not necessarily specific to high school level learning only]:

1. To help the student become all that he/she can be
2. To ensure the student graduates with the kind of knowledge and understanding of various disciplines that would help him/her to deal effectively with the working world he/she may encounter
3. To provide the student with needed skills and abilities to learn further and deeper in subjects of interest
4. To prepare the student for college acceptance
5. To promote the student's ability to think analytically and critically on issues
6. To ensure the student effectively read, write and do arithmetic effectively enough to be able to cope with the real world around after he/she graduates from high school
7. To enable the student use a library effectively
8. To enable the student to use a dictionary effectively
9. To enable the student to use an encyclopedia effectively
10. To convince the student that all this 'stuff' that he/she has to learn is really worth something for him/her in his/her later life
11. To ensure the student develops the ability to think analytically and critically on issues for himself/herself
12. Etc,etc, etc, ETC!

Some of those objectives above are things that should have started from Day 1 of his/her school career, and should continue right through life.

I trust the list above may help indicate that the *tasks* a school is entrusted with are more than preparing the student for college.

More useful (and much more important) than the plain and simple list is the 'structure' attached herewith: this is an Interpretive Structural Model (ISM) showing my perceptions of how each of the above objectives may "CONTRIBUTE TO" the others - no special validity is claimed for my perceptions indicated in the model - but I do hope it helps convince that the objective of "school teaching+learning" is a whole lot more complex than may be widely recognized.

(Regrets to Robert Hansen: The structure illustrating the point alas contains the 'boxes' that you hate to see - sorry about that).

[Some background about the concepts and 'systems science' underlying this kind of structure is provided along with my posting at http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=7234262&tstart=0 ].

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Message was edited by: GS Chandy