Topic: Social Promotion
Replies: 12   Last Post: Oct 18, 2010 1:23 PM

Jonathan Groves

From: Kaplan University, Argosy University, Florida Institute of Technology
Registered: 8/18/05
Re: Social Promotion

GS Chandy,

I agree that such lists of objectives that you have proposed here are good
for students to pursue. Too many of my own students in online classes
lack many of these abilities, at least in the classroom. Their discussions
are shallow because they stick to the obvious. I would guess that, outside
the classroom or at least the math classroom, they can think better than
they actually do. As I continue to see more and more shallow discussions,
I continue to wonder if many of the students are really just faking their
efforts to participate.

I will have to try tracking down more articles, but I recall seeing some
earlier this year, one a few days ago and another one this past spring that
suggest students' abilities to think are actually better than what "school
testing" indicates. One of them is a preprint of one chapter of a book by
Terezinha Nunes and Peter Bryant, which I had found in a files section of
a Yahoo group on math education. Whether the book is published or what
the title of the book is, I will have to check. Since it is a preprint,
I will also have to check if it is acceptable to share this document with
others. I do not believe there is a web reference for this document;
Google searches have turned up nothing.

This preprint is the one I had seen this past spring. The main idea in this
document is that not only does proportional reasoning develop without
formal education, formal education may actually significantly hinder that
development in many students.

The other article I had seen several days ago is one written by Ralph
A. Raimi: "Basketball Logic and the NAEP." The link to the article
is found at

http://www.math.rochester.edu/people/faculty/rarm/Logic2009.html.

The following conclusion he reaches is quoted below:

"I believe, therefore, that the public is being given the wrong information,
and is led to believe things that are simply not so. The NAEP scores affect
to tell us that children fail to understand certain things touching on
mathematics as it is presented to us in the real world, whereas what these
children are exhibiting ignorance of is something quite different: the skill
to read an examination paper and to imagine the real-world situation those
words think they are describing to him. Very often, as happens repeatedly in
other examinations where parents protest and exam publishers apologize, those
words don?t really do their job. But even when the writing is plain, and good,
should we label this NAEP ?story-problem? skill ?Mathematics??

"Can we really say that half of our high school students seriously believe
that because all basketball players are tall every tall person is not only a
basketball player but one of our own team? Yet we do solemnly say that.
NAEP itself says so. They have measured it."

Jonathan Groves