Topic: Social Promotion
Replies: 12   Last Post: Oct 18, 2010 1:23 PM

Jonathan Groves

From: Kaplan University, Argosy University, Florida Institute of Technology
Registered: 8/18/05
Re: Social Promotion

On 10/16/2010 at 11:47 pm, GS Chandy wrote:

> Further my post of Oct 16, 2010 11:52 AM:
> <SNIP>

> > > The main idea in this
> > > document is that not only does proportional
> > > reasoning develop without
> > > formal education, formal education may actually
> > > significantly hinder that
> > > development in many students.

> On this point, I'd like to go somewhat further than
> in my earlier response. I'd like to claim:
>
> ... it's not just "proportional reasoning" that
> develops without formal education, it's ALL
> reasoning. Formal education is a useful aid to
> effective reasoning - but it's NOT the only way.
>
> And yes, formal education (if it insists on 'by-rote
> learning') definitely does significantly hinder the
> development of reasoning all round.
>
> GSC

GS,

Though the document I had mentioned focuses on proportional reasoning,
I too would not doubt that these findings carry over to any form of
mathematical and everyday, common sense reasoning. I see nothing
special about proportional reasoning that allows this phenomenon to
happen other than possibly being that this reasoning that had developed
in these people intuitively without formal schooling--the people that have
been observed by various researchers over the years--because those people
had been exposed to proportional reasoning frequently outside of school.

Jonathan Groves