Topic: The probability of getting zero counts
Replies: 9   Last Post: Oct 18, 2010 10:07 PM

Richard Ulrich

Re: The probability of getting zero counts

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 06:21:47 +1100, Richard Wright
<richwrigREMOVE@tig.com.au> wrote:

[snip, previous]

>1. In a one-diimensional array of:
>
>6 3 0 4 8 0 5 2 1
>
>two zero counts do not raise an eyebrow, so no explanation need be
>looked for.
>

>2. In a one dimensional array of:
>60 30 0 40 80 0 50 20 10
>
>two values of zero would raise an eyebrow, and an explanation needs to
>be looked for.

No, I raise no eyebrows at two values of zero when
every number is a multiple of 10. Do you not notice that
instantly, on seeing the set? I would raise an eyebrow
if someone claimed that these were random counts or
measures or whatever, where integers-times-10 were
not either favored or else created by manipulation.

--
Rich Ulrich