The Math Forum

Topic: Can't Get There From Here
Replies: 2   Last Post: Oct 27, 2010 1:54 PM

kirby urner

Re: Can't Get There From Here

This sounds like more of that Yankee / WASP enterprising spirit to me,
not so much Italian, which is what Mafia connotes (mia familia).

I'm a lot Italian by the way, if we count formative years in Rome, a
lot of cuss words in Trastevere dialect as I lived near the Synagogue
(yeah, near St. Peters).

Here in Oregon, the exchange student mentality has also got traction,
with obscure eastern Oregon horse rancher types seeing how a new kind
of school could involve their skills as outdoors people.

Tending to horses is something many a Chinese youth would like to try,
and not just Chinese youth. We're expecting exchange students from
Ethiopia, Jamaica, Lithuania -- wherever local churches already have
connections, which many do through their missionary work.

The scholarships will help with the upkeep, plus we're looking forward
to those electric ATVs, Made in Mexico or wherever. That's not to say
we're anti-horse though. Ronald Reagan would fill right at home on
one of our Global U ranches.

I don't know how it'll pan out for this community in particular. I
hear your skepticism and it may be entirely justified. However, I see
the low level of xenophobia as an encouraging sign among Yankees.

They sound a lot like rural Oregonians, making plans in the high desert.

Did you know Unitarians (not to be confused with Unity) have ties to
Transylvania. Some will consider it poor taste that I mention this
close to Halloween, given all the stereotypes, but as you know, I'm a
big believer in "time lines" and think mathematics-without-history is
the vastly inferior brand and not suitable for Asians.

Kirby