Topic: Mathematics as a language
Replies: 35   Last Post: Nov 8, 2010 1:53 AM

Herman Jurjus

Re: Mathematics as a language

On 11/3/2010 6:52 AM, herbzet wrote:

> Aatu Koskensilta wrote:

>> herbzet writes:

>>> It *could* exist -- therefore, mathematically, it *does* exist.

>> This is a traditional and appealing idea. But just what is meant by
>> "could" here? What sort of possibility is involved?

> For rhetorical punch, I purposely left out the modifier, which is "logical".
>
> What logically could exist -- that is, what is not inherently self-
> contradictory -- has mathematical existence.

Corollary: CH is false.
Proof: Since Cohen 1963 we know that it is logically consistent to
assume that there exists S, subset of P(N), equipollent neither to N nor
to P(N).
By your principle above, S mathematically exists. Therefore CH is false.

--
Cheers,
Herman Jurjus

Date Subject Author
[...]