Topic: Mathematics as a language
Replies: 35   Last Post: Nov 8, 2010 1:53 AM

Herman Jurjus

Re: Mathematics as a language

On 11/4/2010 4:10 PM, Marshall wrote:
> On Nov 3, 11:40 pm, herbzet<herb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Herman Jurjus wrote:

>>> Co-consistent with ordinary mathematics, of course.
>>> (I.e. with ZFC, and then also with any weaker theory.)

>> Right -- the assumption here is that ordinary mathematics
>> (i.e. ZFC, more or less) is itself consistent -- the ordinary
>> and unremarkable gentleman's agreement.

> Ok. But again, all the "counterexamples" just amount to saying
> that (most) theories have undecidable sentences, right?

It may be the case that the remark 'most theories have undecidable
sentences' is used early on in the argument, but it's not the crux of
what's being said.

Here's the same argument in terms of 'real' mathematics:

If you start a paper or discourse with
"Let S be an uncountable subset of P(N), not equipollent to P(N)" (*)
and you proceed from there, then, as long as you stick to ordinary
mathematics, you'll never reach a contradiction (unless the ordinary
mathematics that you use is in itself already inconsistent).

So, if mere absence of contradiction (using ordinary mathematical
reasoning alone) is argument enough for mathematical existence, then you
would be compelled to accept the mathematical existence of S, similar to
that of the object '6'.

(*) And likewise, of course, with
"Let f be a bijection from w_1 to P(N)"

--

[...]