Topic: Mathematics as a language
Replies: 35   Last Post: Nov 8, 2010 1:53 AM

Brian Chandler

Re: Mathematics as a language

Daryl McCullough wrote:
> herbzet says...
>

> >I guess the problem people are having with my thesis is that they
> >are willing to accept (a) the mathematical existence of S, similar
> >to that of the object 6, [...] is special -- it really and truly
> >exists in some sense, ...

> I don't think that's right at all. It doesn't have anything
> to do with 6 being special.

Never mind about being special, I'm completely baffled by the concept
of the "object" [!?] 6. What on earth does it mean for it to "exist"?

It seems to me that 6 only exists in the (incontrovertible) sense that
the Judaeo-Christian God "exists": people have been engaged in talking
about him, teaching this stuff to their children, and look! he has a
Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God . Anyway, for
balance, there's this too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6_%28number%29

Brian Chandler

Date Subject Author
[...]