Topic: Mathematics as a language
Replies: 5   Last Post: Nov 10, 2010 12:05 AM

lwalke3@lausd.net

Re: Mathematics as a language

On Nov 9, 8:48 pm, Bill Taylor <w.tay...@math.canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Transfer Principle <lwal...@lausd.net> responded:
> > And I'm just wondering, does this "some claim theirs _are_" have
> > anything to do with "cranks," as in WM, AP, and so on?

> Not necessarily at all.  Those who claim their intuitions
> about sets are all well and good, include...
> 1:  Many crackpots;
> 2:  Many oridnary working mathematicians;
> 3:  Some of the top logicians and set theorists of
>     the past and present, including Godel and Woodin.

Thanks. If I recall correctly, someone once accused me of conflating
Groups 1 and 3 in my arguments. To be specific, I tried to justify
Group 1 (WM, AP, HdB, etc.) and their reliance on intuition by
pointing out that Group 3 does it too (Goedel, when he claimed that
the cardinality of the continuum was aleph_2). Needless to say, I
was nailed for doing so.