Topic: Creating a List of Online Math Tutoring Sites
Replies: 17   Last Post: Dec 9, 2012 1:10 PM

Jonathan Groves

From: Kaplan University, Argosy University, Florida Institute of Technology
Registered: 8/18/05
Re: Creating a List of Online Math Tutoring Sites

Wayne,

At the Kaplan Math Center, our policy is that we work a different
problem for students than the problem they provide unless we know
for sure that the problem is not one on a graded assignment.
Since the tutors there have had some experience teaching at Kaplan,
they have a good idea of which problems are graded and which ones
are not. If we have doubts about a problem a student asks,
then we take the safe route and assume the problem is one that
appears on a graded assignment.

As for myself with my own courses, I have no way of enforcing
such policies with tutors the students consult, especially
when I don't know those tutors or how to contact them.
I seriously doubt that more than a few students--if any--
will admit that a tutor had shown them how to work Problem X
as given in exactly the same form given on Assignment Y.

The courses I teach nowadays use MML and other computer work
as the bulk of their course grade, so it is very difficult to
tell that a tutor is working problems for a student unless
their course grade is low or if they are getting high grades
on assignments but making the kinds of errors in
discussion assignments that would cause me to question the
validity of their A's and B's on other assignments and
exams. Even the latter case is not hard evidence, and
I have not seen it much myself. The students who write
poor discussion assignments almost always make poor grades
on their other assignments. Furthermore, for these courses
I teach, I must use the assignments they provide for the
course. Any other so-called "assignments" I provide must
be for practice only and not for a grade.

High homework grades and low quiz or exam grades from
students do cause a tricky problem for any one particular
student (and I have seen this a lot myself): Is this
problem caused by the student getting a tutor or someone
else to do their homework for them, or it is caused by
the student not knowing how to work the problems correctly
the first time around? What makes this especially tricky
is that the quizzes or exams they take are completely
computerized so that they need not show work on them.
The MML homework gives them as many chances and as much
time as they want to get the questions correct, so this
latter possibility is plausible.

Luckily the homework grade in the Florida Tech courses
does not count for a large part of their final grade,
so any such violations they could be making are not
helping students much unless they are also getting the
same kind of assistance with exams. But the homework
grade in Kaplan courses and Argosy courses are significant
parts of their final course grade, so this kind of
violation can greatly inflate their final course grades.
At least Argosy gives weekly quizzes to help combat
that some, but I don't think it is enough.

Jonathan Groves